The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   25 seconds left (https://forum.officiating.com/football/28267-25-seconds-left.html)

Nyjets Wed Sep 13, 2006 08:12am

25 seconds left

Does a team have to snap the ball if there are 25 seconds on the clock when the ready for play is given? Play scenerio: Nearing the end of the first quarter, Team A gets tackled inbounds and the officials stop the clock to move the chains. The clock shows 25 seconds left, and the clock is going to start on the RFP. Does team A have to snap the ball or can the quarter expire? If they have to snap it, will we enforce the penalty for delay of game from the succeeding spot? What if this same scenerio happens at the end of the 2nd quarter or 4th quarter? If this is a foul, by rule, we don't extend the period for fouls that don't occur during the last timed down of the period. What would you do?

AndrewMcCarthy Wed Sep 13, 2006 08:15am

If it's right on 25 when the ready is blown they don't have to run a play.

MJT Wed Sep 13, 2006 08:17am

No way I would have a DOG in that situation. Most teams will run a play anyway, but either way I would let it go. If it says 26 you'd have a different story. BTW, if the clock did not stop, I will never blow the RFP with 25-27 seconds left. I will see where the clock is, and if I cannot blow the ready at 28, I will be waiting til 24.

JasonTX Wed Sep 13, 2006 08:20am

When there are 25 seconds or less on the game clock, the play clock should be turned off if the clock starts on the RFP. So the answer to your question is there is no delay of game as the qtr ended.

RonRef Wed Sep 13, 2006 08:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJT
No way I would have a DOG in that situation. Most teams will run a play anyway, but either way I would let it go. If it says 26 you'd have a different story. BTW, if the clock did not stop, I will never blow the RFP with 25-27 seconds left. I will see where the clock is, and if I cannot blow the ready at 28, I will be waiting til 24.

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU ON THIS TOPIC, IF MY BACK IS TO THE GAME CLOCK MY LJ USUALLY LET ME KNOW THAT I HAVE TO WAIT. I THEN TURN TO THE QB AND TELL HIM THAT WE DON'T NEED TO RUN A PLAY OR IF I BLEW IT IN AT :30 THAT HE NEEDS TO RUN ONE PLAY.

Nyjets Wed Sep 13, 2006 09:03am

I understand if the clock is already running, the referee can wait until it gets under 25, but the scenerio is the clocked is stopped at 25 for an officials time out, and the clock will start with the RFP, so we have to determine if we have to run a play or not. The rule book says the ball shall be snapped within 25 seconds.

RonRef Wed Sep 13, 2006 09:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyjets
I understand if the clock is already running, the referee can wait until it gets under 25, but the scenerio is the clocked is stopped at 25 for an officials time out, and the clock will start with the RFP, so we have to determine if we have to run a play or not. The rule book says the ball shall be snapped within 25 seconds.

I will let the clock run out without a flag.

Jim D Wed Sep 13, 2006 09:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nyjets

Since the team has the entire 25 period to snap the ball, the DOG foul would not occur until after the 25 seconds had passed and, at that same instant, the game or period has ended so there is no foul.

waltjp Wed Sep 13, 2006 09:37am

It depends on the game situation. I'm the U on my crew. If the game is out of reach then I'll hold up spotting the ball until the clock reaches 25 seconds, but if it's close then the losing team deserves the right to have the game played out.

For example - if B is trailing and needs the ball back to have a chance to tie or win and they stop A on third down we owe it to them to try to get the ball spotted so A has to snap the ball on 4th down. I'm not advocating rushing our normal between-down procedures, but we shouldn't be looking to delay the RFP either.

On the other hand, if they game is out of reach I have been known to be extra diligent when cleaning the mud from between the laces before I place the ball. :D

mcrowder Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:14am

Think of it this way if you have to. The game clock that reads 25 seconds must have somewhere between 24.000000001 and 25 seconds on it. The play clock, when started, must allow a full 25 seconds - so in this sitch, by definition, the game clock MUST have less time on it than the play clock, thus no DOG.

DJ_NV Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:47am

like mcrowder said, another way to think about it is that the the second ":00" is actually the 25th second. Usually when the PC reads :25 and it's started, it immediately ticks to :24 without waiting a full second while displaying :25, therefore for a full second while displaying :00 is 25 seconds. Of course this is borderline overthinking it....

Now from a practical standpoint, our mechanic is that the official that has the PC will look at the ball when the play clock is ticking from :01 to :00. If the clock displays :00 and the ball is being snapped, then no DOG. If :00 is on the PC and the ball is still stationary, kill it.