The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Charged T/O or not (https://forum.officiating.com/football/28251-charged-t-o-not.html)

ljudge Tue Sep 12, 2006 06:57am

Charged T/O or not

Here's the situation...

Team B needs the ball back and plans to call time out after the play. The play goes off and the ball is becomes dead. Coach of team B immediately calls a T/O. As you're stopping the clock you realize there's a team A player down due to an injury. So, you deal with the injury first and tell the coach he can't have a T/O until after the injured player is appropriately addressed. After you deal with the injured player the coach decides he doesn't want a time out. Do you allow it or make him take the T/O?

RonRef Tue Sep 12, 2006 07:01am

After the injured player is taken care of I would ask the coach if he still wants a team time-out.

FootballRef05 Tue Sep 12, 2006 07:33am

I agree with Ron, ask him what he wants to do.

waltjp Tue Sep 12, 2006 07:44am

If you discovered the injured player simultaneous with the clock stoppage then go with the official TO. B's coach will most likely want to take his TO anyway because he wants to stop the running clock but ask anyway - you never know. Without the TO the clock is going to start on the RFP.

RonRef Tue Sep 12, 2006 07:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by waltjp
If you discovered the injured player simultaneous with the clock stoppage then go with the official TO. B's coach will most likely want to take his TO anyway because he wants to stop the running clock but ask anyway - you never know. Without the TO the clock is going to start on the RFP.

Good point waltjp, inform the coach the clock will start on the ready for play. That is good officiating.

Theisey Tue Sep 12, 2006 08:47am

Same goes with a TO request when there is a flag on the ground.

Let them know the clock is stopped now to deal with the flag and to ask for a TO after penalty has been assessed or declined.
Most of the time they do want the TO, but standard procedure says this is how it should be handled.

RonRef Tue Sep 12, 2006 08:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theisey
Same goes with a TO request when there is a flag on the ground.

Let them know the clock is stopped now to deal with the flag and to ask for a TO after penalty has been assessed or declined.
Most of the time they do want the TO, but standard procedure says this is how it should be handled.

What is going on here 6 posts and no name calling, this board is losing its bite! (HA HA HA)

AndrewMcCarthy Tue Sep 12, 2006 09:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonRef
What is going on here 6 posts and no name calling, this board is losing its bite! (HA HA HA)

You're an idiot. ;)

RonRef Tue Sep 12, 2006 09:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewMcCarthy
You're an idiot. ;)

Andrew,

Now you sound like my wife!

waltjp Tue Sep 12, 2006 09:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonRef
Andrew,

Now you sound like my wife!

Wow. Your wife is easy on you. :D In my house that's a term of endearment.

ljudge Tue Sep 12, 2006 05:42pm

OK. I'm still thinking I screwed up. I did exactly as you guys said you would do but for some reason I'm thinking it's just not right. I mean the guy signaled and I did ask the coach if he still wanted the T/O. His 1st question was if he decided not to take a T/O would we go on the RFP.

When I was an LJ a coach would say "Mr. official I would like a time out after this play." If it was an incomplete pass I would first ask if he still wanted it and the answer was usually no.

But, this weekend I was working R and I see him visibly from the sideline as could the home coach. So, the request was in a different context.

The more I think about it I could have easily said the original request was "denied" until we dealt with the injury...then the away coach could have easily called a T/O at that point.