The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Personal Foul (https://forum.officiating.com/football/28186-personal-foul.html)

fonzzy07 Thu Sep 07, 2006 09:15pm

Personal Foul

So today I was watching game film for are game tommorrow night. As I was watching I noticed the other team has a habit of jumping up and down and getting in the oponents face. Is this a personal foul it seems like it should be called especially if it is happening alot. If it is a personal foul is there any way a captain or coach can bring this to the attention of an official. This is missouri if this helps and well we come from the suburbs and are traveling out to the country if that makes any diffrence.

AndrewMcCarthy Thu Sep 07, 2006 09:37pm

It sounds more like unsportsmanlike conduct since we're not talking about contact with the opponents. Personal fould involve contact. 2 UC penalties on anyone and they're disqualified.

The coach could bring it up to the crew before the game but I'm not sure it'll alter what they call/don't call. It puts it in the back of their mind to be aware of it, if nothing else.

Not sure what city/suburbs/country has to do with it.

dumbref Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:35pm

The suburbs or country should make no difference, but if you’re from Missouri you may not believe me. It is not a personal foul. It could be and as you described it, very likely should be an Unsportsmanlike Conduct foul for taunting. Your head coach can certainly mention it in his pre-game conference with the officials.

As a player, your best action is to smile at the player and back away. It may not sound like the manly thing to do but it serves two purposes. 1) The smile lets the player know you’re not intimidated. 2) It’s much easier for an official to know who the real trouble maker is.

Normally officials will warn players about this kind of conduct, so be patient and let them handle it. And don’t clap your hands if the official does warn him – you’ll get the next one. If it continues, tell your coach – let him take care of it. If you do say something to an official, choose you words carefully! Do not say “DIDN’T YOU SEE THAT!!” or “AREN’T YOU GOING TO FLAG THAT!?!” Pick a time like a time out or the end of a quarter to mention it and do it without emotion.

Lastly, do not get into a “stare down” with him. You may force an official into action – but you may not like the out come.

Bob M. Fri Sep 08, 2006 07:59am

REPLY: One piece of advice for officials when speaking to a player about behavior that is becoming offensive and borderline. Stand next to him and look somewhere else while talking. Don't look directly at him. But be clear in your voice that you're talking to him and he'd batter listen. Don't get animated. Make it a leisurely-looking but stern conversation. Just a technique to prevent looking like you're challenging him.