The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Football Dad -- "Late Hit" (https://forum.officiating.com/football/28150-football-dad-late-hit.html)

tjones1 Tue Sep 05, 2006 04:53pm

Football Dad -- "Late Hit"

Anyone see the video of the father running out onto the field after the play was over and knock down a player because apparently this player put a late hit on his son earlier in the game?

JRutledge Tue Sep 05, 2006 06:06pm

Yes I have. It was awful. I hope this dad gets jailed, sued and thrown under the jail.

Peace

RoyGardner Tue Sep 05, 2006 06:47pm

Video should be here:

http://www.cnn.com/video/partners/rs...oach.hits.kcra

There's also a link on the CNNSI homepage at:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/

SanDiegoSteve Tue Sep 05, 2006 07:43pm

That guy is so screwed. What a bozo. No offense to Bozo.

Ed Hickland Wed Sep 06, 2006 04:23am

This Bozo is just an example of what has happened to kids sports.

There was a penalty flag on the field but this Bozo didn't think it was enough and after all his team was winning. Hope the league forfeited the game.

OverAndBack Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:13am

YouTube link.

Apparently there was about a 20 minute parent brawl afterwards.

What do we, as officials, do in that situation?

RonRef Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverAndBack
YouTube link.

Sit back and take down numbers of players and monitor what coach is fighting. We are officials, not police officers.

Ed Hickland Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:17am

Quote:

YouTube link.

Stand back and take names and numbers, where possible.

FredFan7 Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:20am

Stay out of the melee. Some "fans" could use this opportunity to take some frustration out on you.

I'd also say there would be no more football that day. Suspend the game and let the league sort it out.

OverAndBack Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:44pm

Would we run the risk of being held liable if a kid got hurt while we were standing off to the side, doing nothing but being a witness, when we could have at least gotten kids (these being little kids - high schoolers I'm not so worried about) out of the way of potentially being hurt?

I'm just askin', because you know somebody would try to make the case that we're in charge and by bailing out, we were complicit in some way in a kid or kids getting hurt.

mcrowder Wed Sep 06, 2006 01:05pm

Quote:

Would we run the risk of being held liable if a kid got hurt while we were standing off to the side, doing nothing but being a witness, when we could have at least gotten kids (these being little kids - high schoolers I'm not so worried about) out of the way of potentially being hurt?

I'm just askin', because you know somebody would try to make the case that we're in charge and by bailing out, we were complicit in some way in a kid or kids getting hurt.

They are wearing pads, I'm not. There's 100 of them (plus the parents) and 3-5 of us. I don't think we could be held liable for staying the hellO out of the way.

OverAndBack Wed Sep 06, 2006 01:11pm

In a pee-wee game, there's probably two of us.

Fair enough point.

Then again, litigiousness knows no common sense whatsoever.

JRutledge Wed Sep 06, 2006 01:28pm

Quote:

In a pee-wee game, there's probably two of us.

Most leagues that I have worked in this area had 3 or 4 officials. If I am not mistaken I believe I saw at least 3 officials on this particular game.

I also think we could if someone really wanted to try to scapegoat the officials. I am not sure what you could have done except make sure the adult did not hurt the kid further. Even then if the guy is bigger, stronger or has a weapon, I do not see how we could be expected to fight this coach. Now if it was me I would have tried to stop it if I felt I had a chance to. It is also not every day you see a lunatic parent running from off the field and attacking a player.

Peace

OverAndBack Wed Sep 06, 2006 01:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
Most leagues that I have worked in this area had 3 or 4 officials. If I am not mistaken I believe I saw at least 3 officials on this particular game.

Hmmm. The league I've done games in only has two, but it's not 12-13 year olds, either.

When I was 14 and played, we had three at least (looking back at old photos).

I guess I'm doing 9-10 year olds.

In any case, good point. If I had a chance to stop an adult from laying out a kid (though it happened so fast), I would try, but if there's going to be a fracas, I'm not going to risk getting hurt.

As a wise man once told me, "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6."

JRutledge Wed Sep 06, 2006 01:54pm

Quote:

Hmmm. The league I've done games in only has two, but it's not 12-13 year olds, either.

When I was 14 and played, we had three at least (looking back at old photos).

I guess I'm doing 9-10 year olds.

I have done 9-10 year olds and we had 3 officials at the very least. I have worked a Catholic Middle School League the last 3 years and we always had 3 officials and sometimes 4 when we could find someone willing to work.

The only time I have seen the Pop Warner Leagues or Bill George Leagues have less then 3 are when they play like the "Mighty Mites." Those kids are around 6 or 7 years old and can hardly stand up with all the equipment they are wearing. In those games you are really not there to officiate, you are just there to make sure everyone is safe.

Peace