The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Handshake (https://forum.officiating.com/football/27991-handshake.html)

phansen Sat Aug 26, 2006 07:16am

Handshake

Is it appropriate to shake a coaches hand after a game? I'm neither looking for, nor trying to avoid him. I'm just trying to grab my clip and be on my way. I always feel the opposing coach is watching and thinks we had some kind of prearranged deal for the game.

AndrewMcCarthy Sat Aug 26, 2006 07:38am

I usually get out of there quickly. If one of the coaches approaches me I'll give a quick wave, say good luck the rest of the year, and keep moving.

HLin NC Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:53am

Handshake

On the rare occasion, given the time and position on the field, when offered by the coach, I'll shake his hand. Maybe the opposing coach sees it but there's no need to be insulting. We shake both of them in prte-game normally.

It really doesn't happen that often that I've noticed.

Grey Hare Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:02pm

If it's really late in the game, and the final result is not in doubt, you may consider getting your clip early from the chain crew. When I was HL I would always thank my chain crew and get my clip with about a minute to go. That way I have no delay in departing from the field. This may help in avoiding what you have described.

GH:D

irefky Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Hare
If it's really late in the game, and the final result is not in doubt, you may consider getting your clip early from the chain crew. When I was HL I would always thank my chain crew and get my clip with about a minute to go. That way I have no delay in departing from the field. This may help in avoiding what you have described.

GH:D

I agree totally with getting the clip before the end is near but if a coach is there and thier hand is extended, sure, go ahead, don't be rude.

I do agree with the perception others may think, but you have been on that sideline the entire night. I would just tend to turn around and commend the chain crew and get the heck out of there.

MJT Sat Aug 26, 2006 08:00pm

We often will get a wave and a thanks, but if I was close to the coach and he offered, I'd oblige.

PSU213 Mon Aug 28, 2006 04:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC
On the rare occasion, given the time and position on the field, when offered by the coach, I'll shake his hand. Maybe the opposing coach sees it but there's no need to be insulting. We shake both of them in prte-game normally.

It really doesn't happen that often that I've noticed.

I agree with this. If he's there and extends his arm, I'll shake his hand. I'm not going to run 40 yards up field and force him to shake with me (particluarly if he is upset with some aspect of the game I've just worked)

JasonTX Tue Aug 29, 2006 08:44am

I was taught to neither seek nor avoid a coach at the end of the game. Last year I worked a really close game that was supposed to be a blow out. Just about every coach from the losing team was waiting for the crew since our exit was on their side of the field. So, I'm thinking we are about to get an earful, but amazingly they were there to shake our hands and told us we were the best crew they have had all year long.