The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Questions from the Part I test (https://forum.officiating.com/football/27927-questions-part-i-test.html)

OverAndBack Tue Aug 22, 2006 02:38pm

Questions from the Part I test

First off, does everybody in every state take the same test? I apologize in advance for not knowing that.

I was taking the thing on deadline and was getting frustrated because (a) the rule book isn't written in English and (b ) the test is written specifically to try to mess you up. So that, and the fact I'm only in my third year, hopefully earns me some slack.

But I have questions on the 5 questions I got wrong:

17. The kicker or place-kick holder may be blocked as soon as the kick has touched the ground or any other player. (italics mine)

Rule 9-3-4 says:
The kicker or place-kick holder of a free kick may not be blocked before:
a. He has advanced 5 yards beyond his free-kick line.
b. The kick has touched the ground or any other player.

To me, that's vaguely worded. The rule doesn't say a OR b. It has an a. and it has a b.

Am I wrong to look at that and think that means a and b?

28. A substitute becomes a player upon entering the huddle or when positioned in a formation.

I think I snookered myself on this one because, while it's true that a sub becomes a player under those two conditions, those aren't the only conditions.

Rule 2-31-15 says:

A substitute becomes a player when he enters the field and communicates with a teammate or an official, enters the huddle, is positioned in a formation or participates in the play.

Here I outthought myself, I guess, because I was thinking it was a trick question. Obviously, the answer is "True, but there are other ways as well." I should have shut it off at "True." BTW, apparently 98% of the people in my state got it right, so, yes, I'm a moron.

40. If observed, an entering substitute with a number identical to a teammate who is on the field should not be permitted to enter the game.

Apparently, I'm not the only moron here because "only" 90% of my state got it correct, and here was my thinking:

What if the substitute is coming in for the other player with the identical number? The rule says they can't participate at the same time, but what if #98 comes in for #98? Then you only have one #98 in the game at a time. To me, that seems fine. Apparently they didn't agree with that interpretation.

68. One of the requirements for an offensive player being on his line of scrimmage is that he must face B's goal line.

I could find that requirement for a lineman. I couldn't find a rule that specifies that for ends. If someone else can, please point me to it (again, 98% of my state could, so eff me running).

87. R may recover any scrimmage kick anywhere between the goal lines and advance the ball.

"Only" 86% of my state got this one right, which made it the "hardest" question on the test. But at this point, I can't tell you what my rationale was for answering "false," because I was frustrated beyond belief by the time I got to the end of the test.

I can't for the life of me figure out why I wrote down F.

Anyway, Question 47 was thrown out ("Pass interference cannot occur when the pass is clearly thrown away from the spot of the potential foul") as we were told it was being scored true, but it was really false.

So I got 95 out of 99.

But I'm still frustrated with the way the rule book is written and the way the test is designed to mess with your mind.

ref49873 Tue Aug 22, 2006 03:17pm

welcome to the world of Federation testing. The sole purpose is to trip up as many as possible.

Don't try to out-think the Federation. If the statement is True mark it true even if there are other situations that are also true (like # 28)

DJ_NV Tue Aug 22, 2006 04:29pm

Just remember that if you're thinking too much about a Fed question, you'll most likely get it wrong. Take the simple answer and don't read anymore into it than is right there in front of you.

As for #68, see Rule 2-31-9. The rest I think you answered for yourself. And don't beat yourself up over 95/99. I only wish more of our members would earn a score like that.

JRutledge Tue Aug 22, 2006 04:42pm

You have to take the tests for what they say. This is why many of those answers you got were wrong. You cannot read into these tests and what they say. Just take the statements or questions for what they are.

Peace

OverAndBack Tue Aug 22, 2006 04:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_NV
As for #68, see Rule 2-31-9.

I did. It talks about linemen.

Again, thinking too much.

ref49873 Tue Aug 22, 2006 04:55pm

Question 68

Originally Posted by DJ_NV
As for #68, see Rule 2-31-9.

See also 2-24-2
an offensive player is on his line of scrimmage when he complies with the postion requirements of a lineman.

By using both of these rules question # 68 is true.

golfnref Tue Aug 22, 2006 06:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverAndBack
I did. It talks about linemen.

Again, thinking too much.

Do you not consider an end a lineman?

OverAndBack Tue Aug 22, 2006 08:44pm

I don't.

If the rulesmakers do, then fair play to them.

Everything else is so freaking explicit, I'm surprised they didn't spend a page defining what the word "is" is.

AndrewMcCarthy Wed Aug 23, 2006 09:04am

Quote:

I don't.

If the rulesmakers do, then fair play to them.

An "end" is a "lineman". He's the end lineman!

Or the lineman on the end of the line, if you prefer. The other linemen would be considered interior linemen, I suppose.

Think of a wideout who is "on the line"- one of the required seven guys on the line. Like others have said- the rules say for an offensive player to be on his line of scrimmage, he needs to comply with the postion requirements of a lineman.

RonRef Wed Aug 23, 2006 09:46am

Quote:

First off, does everybody in every state take the same test? I apologize in advance for not knowing that.

I was taking the thing on deadline and was getting frustrated because (a) the rule book isn't written in English and (b ) the test is written specifically to try to mess you up. So that, and the fact I'm only in my third year, hopefully earns me some slack.

But I have questions on the 5 questions I got wrong:

17. The kicker or place-kick holder may be blocked as soon as the kick has touched the ground or any other player. (italics mine)

Rule 9-3-4 says:
The kicker or place-kick holder of a free kick may not be blocked before:
a. He has advanced 5 yards beyond his free-kick line.
b. The kick has touched the ground or any other player.

To me, that's vaguely worded. The rule doesn't say a OR b. It has an a. and it has a b.

Am I wrong to look at that and think that means a and b?

28. A substitute becomes a player upon entering the huddle or when positioned in a formation.

I think I snookered myself on this one because, while it's true that a sub becomes a player under those two conditions, those aren't the only conditions.

Rule 2-31-15 says:

A substitute becomes a player when he enters the field and communicates with a teammate or an official, enters the huddle, is positioned in a formation or participates in the play.

Here I outthought myself, I guess, because I was thinking it was a trick question. Obviously, the answer is "True, but there are other ways as well." I should have shut it off at "True." BTW, apparently 98% of the people in my state got it right, so, yes, I'm a moron.

40. If observed, an entering substitute with a number identical to a teammate who is on the field should not be permitted to enter the game.

Apparently, I'm not the only moron here because "only" 90% of my state got it correct, and here was my thinking:

What if the substitute is coming in for the other player with the identical number? The rule says they can't participate at the same time, but what if #98 comes in for #98? Then you only have one #98 in the game at a time. To me, that seems fine. Apparently they didn't agree with that interpretation.

68. One of the requirements for an offensive player being on his line of scrimmage is that he must face B's goal line.

I could find that requirement for a lineman. I couldn't find a rule that specifies that for ends. If someone else can, please point me to it (again, 98% of my state could, so eff me running).

87. R may recover any scrimmage kick anywhere between the goal lines and advance the ball.

"Only" 86% of my state got this one right, which made it the "hardest" question on the test. But at this point, I can't tell you what my rationale was for answering "false," because I was frustrated beyond belief by the time I got to the end of the test.

I can't for the life of me figure out why I wrote down F.

Anyway, Question 47 was thrown out ("Pass interference cannot occur when the pass is clearly thrown away from the spot of the potential foul") as we were told it was being scored true, but it was really false.

So I got 95 out of 99.

But I'm still frustrated with the way the rule book is written and the way the test is designed to mess with your mind.

The NFHS is getting a new football person, the old guy retired...maybe things will change. Maybe NOT!

OverAndBack Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewMcCarthy
An "end" is a "lineman". He's the end lineman!

Or the lineman on the end of the line, if you prefer. The other linemen would be considered interior linemen, I suppose.

Think of a wideout who is "on the line"- one of the required seven guys on the line. Like others have said- the rules say for an offensive player to be on his line of scrimmage, he needs to comply with the postion requirements of a lineman.

Okay, fair enough!

Warrenkicker Wed Aug 23, 2006 01:42pm

All A or K players are either linemen or backs unless they are a mugwump.

Wideout, splitout, X, Y , tight end, tackle, guard, and center are all terms made up by some coach or announcer to differentiate one lineman from another. The same can be said for backs (slot, flanker, Z, wing, quarter, half, full, tail, I-, up, holder, punter, kicker)