The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Loose ball or TD? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/27802-loose-ball-td.html)

tskill Tue Aug 15, 2006 08:21am

Loose ball or TD?

in NFHS rules, with an Airborne runner....A34 takes the handoff from B's 3yrd line, and dives over the goal line and (a) when he lands the ball pops out, or (b) in mid-air after crossing the goal line plane the ball comes out before hitting the ground

Loose ball or TD in (a) and/or (b) ?

Is the airborne runner different than the airborne receiver where the airborne receiver has to maintain possession when he hits the ground?

Had this argument last night at a meeting and want to see others comments. Thanks very much.

Huskerblue Tue Aug 15, 2006 09:02am

Touchdown in both. As soon as the ball crosses the goal line it is a TD as long as the offensive player retains possession. The ball becomes dead at that point.

An airborne runner has already established possession of the ball. An airborne receiver has not established possession of the ball until he comes down with at least one foot inbounds while securing the football.

tskill Tue Aug 15, 2006 09:47am

so you're saying that the ball is dead when the airborne runner crosses the plane of the goal line in the air. What happens after that point when he hits the ground does not matter. Is that correct?

Bob M. Tue Aug 15, 2006 09:51am

REPLY: That's exactly correct for both NCAA and Federation.

svm1010 Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:53pm

So, how does this apply to a slightly different situation

A1 is running with the ball. He leaps towards the goal line at B's 3 yard line. B1 contacts A1 while airborne and forces him over the sideline. The ball crosses the goal line extended before A1 returns to the ground out of bounds.

do you still have a TD?

BigJWalt Tue Aug 15, 2006 01:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by svm1010
So, how does this apply to a slightly different situation

A1 is running with the ball. He leaps towards the goal line at B's 3 yard line. B1 contacts A1 while airborne and forces him over the sideline. The ball crosses the goal line extended before A1 returns to the ground out of bounds.

do you still have a TD?

The way I have always understood this rule, the goal line is only extended when the player is making contact with the field of play and inbounds.

Once a player dives and loses contact with the field of play, the ball is dead as soon as it crosses the sideline.

Bob M. Tue Aug 15, 2006 01:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigJWalt
The way I have always understood this rule, the goal line is only extended when the player is making contact with the field of play and inbounds.

Once a player dives and loses contact with the field of play, the ball is dead as soon as it crosses the sideline.

REPLY: I would say it a little differently than BigJWalt...the ball doesn't become dead when it crosses the sideline. It becomes dead when the runner hits the ground OOB. However, the succeeding spot will be where the ball crossed the sideline once it does become dead by rule.

BigJWalt Tue Aug 15, 2006 02:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: I would say it a little differently than BigJWalt...the ball doesn't become dead when it crosses the sideline. It becomes dead when the runner hits the ground OOB. However, the succeeding spot will be where the ball crossed the sideline once it does become dead by rule.

Bob, thats what I meant, but didnt express when I typed. Thanks.