The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 14, 2006, 12:39pm
Broadcaster

Names mentioned on radio?

In my nearly 100 games of broadcasting high school football, I have never mentioned the names of the officials. A colleague of mine said he does it during the pregame show of every game, but never uses their names again. I've always been a believer that if you mention the name of the official after a perceived bad call, you also mention it after a good, crucial call. But with all I do, I usually don't make time to get the officials' names. I'm curious about the officials' preferences. Would you want your name announced on the radio?
Old Mon Aug 14, 2006, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

In our association, we have the BJ go up to the press box to go over clock mechanics with the stadium clock operator before every game. Usually the radio and/or PA announcer is sitting right there. We don't offer our names, but if they ask we'll give them to him. We don't have a problem with it. Usually the only time that they announce the official's names are at the coin toss when they've just finished announcing the team's captain's names. Usually they just say, "...and officials for tonights game are: Referee, Joe Smith...Umpire, Mike Jones....etc." Then after that, the officials are never referred to by name.
One time last year, one of our crews had a situation where the PA announcer was questioning the calls publicly over the PA system. Then after one call that was judgmental in nature (I think it was a PI call), the announcer said something like "Now that's a horrible call...and by the way, the officials for tonight's game are ...." and he read off the names to the crowd.
Our Referee stopped the clock and found the Athletic Director and advised him that the game would not continue until the PA system was disabled, which he took care of with no problem. Last I heard, the PA guy was relieved of his position for the remainder of the year.
Long story short....we don't have a problem with anyone announcing names as long as it's impartial and exhibiting sportsmanship on behalf of the contest and team(s).
Old Mon Aug 14, 2006, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

At most sites, our names are announced prior to the contest. It's not a big deal either way.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Aug 15, 2006, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

I think most officials probably prefer anonymity. If you are going to mention the officials by name, I like the practice of doing it during the pregame only.
Old Tue Aug 15, 2006, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

During pre-game, prior to coin toss in football. I have heard other officials' names mentioned in a negative aspect and positive on the radio. I would rather my name not be mentioned, my family knows were I'm at and that's all I care about.

However, some officials really like to be in the lime light, I just don't buy into that.
Old Tue Aug 15, 2006, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

I have never had an issue with announcing
our names before a game-- on TV games we'd be
lined up in front of the camera for a shot that was
used to introduce us--that's it---
no names should be given after that !
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

In Iowa, we have a card that lists all of the officials by position and their hometown. We have a couple of PA guys who think they are comedians and embellish out hometowns a little bit. I have been from such places as the Yukon Territory, Juneua Alaska. Its usually cold places. Wonder why that is. But I do not mind being announced. If people really want to find out, they'll find out anyhow.
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

We give the list of officials for the game to the clock operator when he comes to our locker room for a pre-game pow-wow. He then takes it to the PA man, who can then do what he wants with it. If the game is on TV or radio, we give them they list also. I don't really see a big deal either way them announcing it on the TV/radio. It usually gets announced before the game by the PA man through the stadium.
Old Wed Aug 16, 2006, 08:14pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irefky
During pre-game, prior to coin toss in football. I have heard other officials' names mentioned in a negative aspect and positive on the radio. I would rather my name not be mentioned, my family knows were I'm at and that's all I care about.

However, some officials really like to be in the lime light, I just don't buy into that.
While I agree with you, I've never believed we should be anonymous zebras either.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Years ago we were doing an out of town game and our white hat gave the names of NFL officials to the PA guy. Gosh, it was an honor working with Jerry Markbright that evening.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 04:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irefky

Giving your name means you want to be in the lime light?

I guess like anyone I would rather my name not be mentioned, but to think that is never going to happen would not only be ridiculous, it would be unrealistic. Even if we do not give out the name, someone will find this out. I am sure in most cases the officials are known before the day of the game.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 05:22pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Was assigned a provincial final. Game is Saturday. I just received the game day script. 5 minutes before kick-off, they are announcing the officials.

I'm preparing a pre-made crew list with our numbers, positions, names and cities of residence. I have no problem with it.
Old Thu Aug 17, 2006, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

I think the cities is pushing it a bit.

I'd rather just leave it at my name and go from there.
Old Fri Aug 18, 2006, 04:56am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Perhaps. That's just how it's been here over the years.