The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 07, 2006, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up The 1939 Texas Aggies

There's a new book coming out by Mickey Herskowitz (who wrote The Legend of Bear Bryant) about the 1939 Texas Aggies, the one and only (so far) Aggie National Champs. The site (http://www.1939aggies.com) has lots of pictures from the book (an original Reveille), memorabilia, etc. Looks like a good read. It's too bad this is coming out after John Kimbrough died (in May). Gig 'em.

http://www.1939aggies.com
Old Sun Jul 09, 2006, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

While I realize this is feeding the trolls, so to speak, I just thought I would point something out for those not aware:

The 1939 Tennessee Volunteers went undefeated, untied, and allowed a grand total of ZERO points the entire regular season. (Yes, they lost in the Rose Bowl to USC, but national champions were named before the bowl games in those days.)

Keep that in mind as the Aggies celebrate their so-called "national championship."
Old Sun Jul 09, 2006, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

So-called? What kind of idiocy is that?

It appears that you looked (briefly, if that) at Tennessee's schedule, didn't include relevent information, yet didn't even bother to check out A&M's schedule that year. Let's break it down:

1. Tenn. indeed wasn't scored upon until their loss to USC, but against the teams they played, I'm not sure that's really much of an accomplishment. Aside from USC, the only teams they played with winning records were 'Bama and Kentucky. They also played 2 non-DI schools -- Mercer and Tenn. Chattanooga.

2. A&M played in the SWC at the time, with teams like TCU and SMU winning national championships in recent (to then) years. Their schedule was a bit better, to say the least. Only 4 of the 11 teams they played (and beat) had losing records.

3. It isn't like A&M had a high powered offense and won a lot of 41-38 games. They only had 31 points scored on them -- including 13 to Tulane in the Sugar Bowl, and only 4 other opponents scored on them with scores of 2, 3, 6, and 7 points. That means 6 shutouts.

4. I'd like to know if ANY computer ratings system has Tenn. as its champion for that year. USC claims one based on some obscure ratings, but, unlike Tenn., at least them and Cornell were undefeated, and Tulane only lost by one, unlike the blowout (yes, 14-0 was a blowout THEN) Tenn. experienced to USC. Tulane was the second best team, and USC was the third best. After that, Cornell, Duke, Clemson, and North Carolina probably rate higher than Tenn. UT would struggle to make the top ten, honestly.

Incidentally, if you like defense, check out the Aggie teams of 1917 and 1919: 18-0 with ZERO points allowed in both years. Unfortunately, there was no AP poll, and the computer ratings weren't kind to them -- likely due to their opponents. But I think it would be hard to find many teams that played 2 years of 18 or more games and didn't allow a point.
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Not giving up any points all year is pretty impressive.

I feel like I should list the credentials of my Crimson Tide. But I better not, that would take too long for you guys to read.
Old Wed Jul 12, 2006, 03:36am
Official Forum Member

Computer rating?

This may sound dumb, but why whould you be talking about computer ratings for teams in 1917 and 1939? I'm fairly sure the computer systems thay (didn't) have back then were not used for football ratings.

Or did I misunderstand your comments?

James