Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Wed Jul 11, 2001, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to camaulds
Unhappy

I am curious if other States and areas of Michigan are experiencing the same level of frustration with regard to bringing in new Officials.

I have Officiated in Louisiana and Michigan starting in 1976. When I initially signed up in West Monroe, Louisiana in 1976 we were in dire need of Football Officials. Is that still the case in NE Louisiana? I moved to Mid-Michigan a short time later only to find that there was an abundance of Officials here. That changed over the years. Now we are hurting here just like we were in Louisiana in the late 70's.

Do you have enough Officials to cover all your games? Are some of your games worked short handed due to shortage of Officials? Does your association regularly have to contract games out to other associations due to shortage?

Any good ideas out there for recruiting new Officials?

What are your thoughts on why we have a shortage if there is one in your area? If you have more than enough for coverage what are you doing to generate interest?

Here in Mid-Michigan soccer has caused numbers in football to drop and with it interest in Officiating football. That is not the prime reason for lack of Officials but it is one of the bricks in the wall so to speak. We just don't have the numbers out for FB that we once did.

I have 3 sons and one daughter. The 3 oldest have worked little league baseball as umpires. My oldest son Officiates with us here for the MHSAA. His interest is lukewarm at best. The passion to do this just isn't there yet. He loves FB but doesn't have the time to devote to our craft. The next son gave up Officiating completely. He hates the arguing and getting yelled at. To quote him, "there are too many other things I can do to make money where I don't have to put up with all of the arguing and yelling from coaches and parents."

In short, we are too busy as a society to devote the time and energy to Officiating. Coaches, players and parents discourage new recruits at an early age. Other sports and interest pull kids away from playing the sport(s)resulting in a lessening of the talent pool to draw from.

Lastly, we may be becoming a sedintary society bent on a hassel free existence with little or no responsibility. With competition from video games, TV, movies etc., we just aren't "out there" as a people to same degree as 15-25 years ago. What we do is just the opposite of all that!

When I ask young people what they have better to do than Officiate the game they love I get a variety of answers. Most of those answers fall into one of the above categories.

What do we do about it?