The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 28, 2006, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Texas HS to use 2005 NCAA Rules

TEXAS HIGH SCHOOLS TO PLAY WITH 2005 RULES

Austin and San Marcos, Texas April 28, 2006: For the first time since Texas high schools began playing football in 1920, they will not be playing under the annually-revised NCAA rules. In a joint statement today, the University Interscholastic League (UIL), the Texas High School Coaches Association (THSCA) and the Texas Association of Sports Officials - Football Division (TASO) announced that public high schools in Texas will play the 2006 football season using the NCAA rules from the 2005 season. ! Each year Texas, one of two states that uses NCAA rules for high school football, amends the collegiate rules for their high schools by creating a list of exceptions. The NCAA football rules book is typically published in June but will be delayed this year.

"After reviewing the proposed changes for this year, it is obvious that the rule changes are geared toward reducing the game duration and replay issues that are not a concern at the high school level" said Dr. Charles Breithaupt, UIL Assistant Director. D.W. Rutledge, Executive Director of THSC, added "The length of our games is much shorter than the college game so our coaches are not in favor of rule changes that reduce the number of plays per game. Schools are conducting spring practice now. Coaches would like be able to instruct their athletes regarding rule changes for the up coming season".

According to Michael Fitch, President of TASO-Football, the delay in printing the 2006 NCAA Rule Books is also a concern. "Our 'on-field' and regional rule clinics are already under way. Many local chapters are starting to conduct training sessions for new officials. Our state-wide annual meeting is in early July. Not having the new rule books for these rules sessions would severely impact their effectiveness in preparing for the new season". Fitch went on to say, "This issue was reviewed by the entire Football Board of Directors and the recommendation to stay with 2005 rules was unanimous."

Officials of all three organizations agreed that it is too soon to speculate on what impact this action will have on the 2007 season but agreed this action is the best course of action in preparation for the 2006 football season.
Old Fri Apr 28, 2006, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Do you guys use the 5/6/7 man crews?
Old Fri Apr 28, 2006, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

5 man for varsity although some parts of the state have to go with 4 man crews for lower classifications at times due to lack of officials. My Chapter has provided 6 man crews at time s but coaches have to agree and it is usually in "pre-season" games and playoffs only.
Old Mon May 01, 2006, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMike
5 man for varsity although some parts of the state have to go with 4 man crews for lower classifications at times due to lack of officials. My Chapter has provided 6 man crews at time s but coaches have to agree and it is usually in "pre-season" games and playoffs only.
Mike, where can I get a copy of the TASO approved 6 man mechanics.
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
7 man coming

Houston is talking with coaches to allow them to use 7 man crews if both coaches agree. This was actually brought up by the coaches. There will be some clinics for 7 man before the season starts so the people involved will have some clues as to what to do.

There will probably be quite a bit of it during the playoffs.
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwhistle
Houston is talking with coaches to allow them to use 7 man crews if both coaches agree. This was actually brought up by the coaches. There will be some clinics for 7 man before the season starts so the people involved will have some clues as to what to do.

There will probably be quite a bit of it during the playoffs.

I agree that with the evolution of the passing game in Texas that 7 man crew is the way to go. 6 man is actually worse than 5 man in my opinion because you lose the back judge and leave the middle open. At a clinic last year the TASO reps said that 5 man and below are the only approved mechanics. If you got the numbers in officials and there is an approved mechanic then that's great and I hope that TASO says to go for it. We have a hard enough time fielding 5 man so 7 man is no where in our horizon.
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

OK, this is bizarre. Not so much what they are doing but how they say they will do things.

We still need to use the 2006 NCAA rules, whether we make exceptions in certain (or all) areas that read exactly like the 2005 rules. What if they (NCAA) adopt some editorial changes or approved rulings in the 2006 book that are intended to be implemented, but aren't? We watch the NCAA tape every year because the playing rules are exactly the same. The UIL exceptions deal almost exclusively with timing, fighting, and other administrative issues, rather than things like holding, pass interference, etc. I think the printing issue would work itself out.

I still think everyone is overreacting to the NCAA changes. I don't think they are going to speed a game up so much that fans won't think they got their money's worth.

Last edited by Texas Aggie; Thu May 04, 2006 at 08:41pm.