The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

ESPN has announced their Monday Night Football announcers. They are Joe Theisman, Mike Tirico and Tony Kornheiser. Why didn't they hire Isaac Mizrahi and Oprah instead? At least they would have been more interesting than Joe and Tony. I love Mike Tirico but Joe is an idiot and what has Tony Kornheiser ever done? The only reason I ever watched Sunday night football was for Mike Patrick and Paul Maguire. The ignorance of the football masses will dive deeper with Joe Theisman still talking into a microphone.
Old Wed Feb 08, 2006, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by schwinn
ESPN has announced their Monday Night Football announcers. They are Joe Theisman, Mike Tirico and Tony Kornheiser. Why didn't they hire Isaac Mizrahi and Oprah instead? At least they would have been more interesting than Joe and Tony. I love Mike Tirico but Joe is an idiot and what has Tony Kornheiser ever done? The only reason I ever watched Sunday night football was for Mike Patrick and Paul Maguire. The ignorance of the football masses will dive deeper with Joe Theisman still talking into a microphone.
I'm with you. Three in the booth again is asinine. Theisman always has to get his words in, even though he doesn't know what he's talking about. Especially about the rules. He's the Tim McCarver of football.

I guess I'll just have to go back to turning off the sound again, like I did when Dennis Miller was in the booth.

Bob

[Edited by bluezebra on Feb 8th, 2006 at 02:56 PM]
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

I think Kornheiser is great. He's funny, and a little sarcastic, but he's also incredibly observant and loves sports. And unlike Dennis Miller, he understands (and has written for many years about) the things that the rest of us love in sports.

Theisman is just a contrarian. But I think Kornheiser could be great.

As far as three in the booth being bad, I guess I'd just point to the fact that the entire league was, in many ways, built around the 3-man booth that called MNF games for many years.
Old Thu Feb 09, 2006, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

These are going to be bottom of the barrel games, like Sunday nighters have been.

A different version of Arizona vs. Detroit each week, all year. It'll all turn into "blah, blah, blah..." once they kick off.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Joe Theismann makes me homicidal. I only heard him once this year, and then he was saying such ridiculous things about Mike Carey ejecting the wrong guy in the TB/Was playoff game...when Carey had announced that the ejectee had spit in an opponent's face...but of course the crew was talking over the announcement and couldn't be bothered.

Even if there are lives at stake, I will never turn up the sound on a Joe Theismann announced game again.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Was a book ever more aptly named?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/002...lance&n=283155

'nuff said...
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

I'm interested to see how Kornhesier is, we'll see what happens. I couldn't care any less about Theisman...yuck.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Is "The Idiot's Guide to Football" Joe's autobiography?
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 11:15pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs down

There is nothing wrong with Theisman in his own eyes.
A big thumb down for ESPN.
Old Sat Feb 11, 2006, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

I really like Tony on PTI. Sure hope he can stay awake during the game since he says he goes to sleep at 9:00!
Old Sun Feb 12, 2006, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

C'mon guys, Theismann isn't that bad. I'd rather watch a game with the ESPN crew than any game with Al Michaels. At least the ESPN guys made the Saints-Cardinals game half way interesting. The way Theismann and Al Mcguire go at it is priceless. Ever notice that since Dennis Miller was in the MNF booth how Al Michaels tries to make jokes? They're not even corny jokes, their just stupid sentences! Go ESPN!!!
Old Tue Feb 14, 2006, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Time will tell gentlemen. They will make changes if they see fit. Change is good.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2006, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by schmitty1973
C'mon guys, Theismann isn't that bad. I'd rather watch a game with the ESPN crew than any game with Al Michaels. At least the ESPN guys made the Saints-Cardinals game half way interesting. The way Theismann and Al Mcguire go at it is priceless. Ever notice that since Dennis Miller was in the MNF booth how Al Michaels tries to make jokes? They're not even corny jokes, their just stupid sentences! Go ESPN!!!
REPLY: We are talikng about the same Theismann, right? And if he and Al McGuire go at it with each other, Theismann will win that one hands down. Al McGuire died back in 2001! Just joking with you, schmitty...I'm sure you meant Paul, and those exchanges are priceless--even though they often leave me scratching my head.
Old Tue Feb 14, 2006, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

OOps sorry Paul (And Al) I guess Al was the College Basketball guy right? I'd still rather hear Mike Patrick over Mike Tirico.