The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 28, 2006, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Well it’s a new year and my Uncle Ernie is at it again with his monthly quizzes. He just sent me one for this month and wants me to do the answers for NFHS. Well I’m down in ole Mexico and don’t have mi libra da la Americano footbol so I can’t check my answers. I know I’ll get the right answers here so have fun with it. I’ll post my NFHS answers just as soon as I see if I won’t be too embarrassed
NCAA guys can post also. That way I can check Uncle Ernie's answers
================================================== ==
QUESTIONS
================================================== ==

1. A 4/13 B20. A12 runs to the B15, is hit and fumbles. While the ball is rolling at the B10, A76 holds B55 at the B12 preventing him from getting to the ball. The ball rolls out of bounds at the B4. Time expires for the first quarter during the down.

2. A 4/10 A20. A's punt is high and short. B23 signals for a fair catch. The ball hits at the 50 and is rolling towards the sideline. Seeing that he is not going to be able to get to the ball, B23 blocks A76 in the back above the waist at the B45. The ball rolls out of bounds at the B40.

3. A 3/20 A30 A12 throws a deep pass down the sideline to A88. B55, who is obviously beat, is not playing the ball and puts his hands up in front of A88. As the under thrown ball arrives, A88 slows down to attempt the catch. The ball hits B55 in the hand, just before B55 runs into A88.

4. A 1/10 A20. A7 drops back to pass and is hit and fumbles. While the ball is loose, A76 bats the loose ball forward at the A18 and out of bounds at the A21. Clock?

5. A TRY B3. A's kick is blocked and rolling at the B1. A88 and B88 are racing to get to the loose ball. B88, seeing that A88 may get to the ball before him, kicks the ball from the B1 out the back of the EZ.

6. A 3/20 A30. A12 under heavy pressure cannot find an open receiver. A12, to avoid a sack, throws the ball forward and OOB. The pass lands at the A35 and A12 was "outside the pocket." During the play, B55 blocks A88 below the waist at the A35.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2006, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

1. A's ball 4/18 @ B's 25 and one untimed down or if declined, B's ball 1/10 @ B's 4 at the other end of the field.

2. B's (R's) ball 1/10 @ B's 30.

3. A's ball 1/10 A's 45.

4. A's ball 1/20 @ A's 10, clock on the snap as it rolled OB.

5. Blow the whistle when it's blocked.

6. Double foul, replay the down.

[Edited by schwinn on Jan 28th, 2006 at 05:27 PM]
Old Sat Jan 28, 2006, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

4 . 1st and 21 from the 9 yd line
Old Sat Jan 28, 2006, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

1. [Assuming 3rd down since we have no 4th down.] Loose ball interference. B option to:
- accept LBI and take the ball 1st and 10 at the B12 and have one more play in the 1st quarter
- decline the LBI. A12 fumbled from the B15 and so the ball will be moved back to there since the ball was fumbled OOB. Since yards are not gained, B can take possession 1st and 10 at the B15.

2. [Assuming 3rd down since we have no 4th down and ignoring the fair catch signal since we have none.] Assuming the block was a 15 yard foul, we enforce from where the ball went OOB since there was no possession prior to the foul. So B 1st and 10 at the B25.

3. I will assume "up in front of A88" means faceguarding. So we have DPI which is at most 15 yards and automatic 1st down. So A 1st and 10 at the 55.

4. Offside pass subject to penalty. Team B can enforce the OP and have team A 2nd and 12 at the A18. Clock starts on the ready throughout the game.

5. Assuming that A88 is offside and within 5 yards of B88 when B88 kicks the ball, we have a restraining zone foul on A. Option to B:
- accept the RZ and take the ball B 1st and 10 at the B16
- decline the RZ and give up a safety. Two points to A and A chooses whether B kicks off at their own 35, team A scrimmages at their 35 or kicks from their 35.
(If no RZ foul then just the second part above.)

6. We have no "pocket". This is a dual foul of intentional grounding and block below the waist. IG is treated as a 10 yard foul for a dual and BBW is also 10. So the penalties offset and we repeat the down at PLS.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2006, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Agree with Andy, foul behind the basic spot, 1/2 the distance from the spot of the foul.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Sat Jan 28, 2006, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim S
Agree with Andy, foul behind the basic spot, 1/2 the distance from the spot of the foul.
Good one. I missed the 18 yard line and was concentrated on the ball going out at the 21.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2006, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by schwinn
[B]1. A's ball 4/18 @ B's 25 and one untimed down or if declined, B's ball 1/10 @ B's 4 at the other end of the field.

I first thought that B should decline the foul and get the ball. But wasn't A's line to gain at the B-7 ?
Old Sat Jan 28, 2006, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by James Neil
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by schwinn
1. A's ball 4/18 @ B's 25 and one untimed down or if declined, B's ball 1/10 @ B's 4 at the other end of the field.

I first thought that B should decline the foul and get the ball. But wasn't A's line to gain at the B-7 ?
The line to gain is the 7 but the penalty is enforced from the end of the run (the 15) as the penalty is beyond the end of the run (the 12). So the ball goes back to the 25, leaving 4th and 18.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2006, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by schwinn
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by James Neil
Quote:

The line to gain is the 7 but the penalty is enforced from the end of the run (the 15) as the penalty is beyond the end of the run (the 12). So the ball goes back to the 25, leaving 4th and 18.
but you have B declining the foul so there's not going to be any enforcement
Old Sat Jan 28, 2006, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, James, I guess I didn't understand your point. I would expect they'd decline without a doubt. I'm thinking you were asking about my math on the enforcement option.
Old Sat Jan 28, 2006, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sorry, James, I guess I didn't understand your point. I would expect they'd decline without a doubt. I'm thinking you were asking about my math on the enforcement option.
well my point is that B really won't decline because then their going to give A the ball back with A 1/G @ B-4.
Their only real choise is to accept and have A play an untimed down after enforcement. Good job on the quiz . Lets hear from the NCAA guys . I know there's some big differances there.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2006, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

1. Don't give B an option - declining the penalty results in A 1/G @ B4 to start the second quarter. They will accept the penalty, which is during a running play, and so is penalized from the end of the run. (Foul is ahead of the basic spot.) 10 yards back from the B15 results in A 4/18 @ B25; one untimed down.

2. This is a PSK foul ahead of the end of the kick, so we'll penalize from the end of the kick. 15 yards for the personal foul (blocking after signal) results in B 1/10 @ B25; clock on the snap (kick).

3. Prepare to catch hell from B's coach. The defender is guilty of pass interference for face guarding (no contact required for PI in NFHS). It's going to be A 1/10 @ A45; clock on the snap (incomplete pass).

4. Loose ball play, with a foul behind the previous spot. It's a 15-yarder, so we're going half the distance from the spot of the foul. A 1/21 @ A9; clock on the snap (OOB).

5. No foul - the ball is dead as soon as it's clear the kick is no good.

6. If it wasn't grounding, I'd want to know if the block occurred before or after the pass was thrown, and if it was anywhere near the pass - could be pass interference. Since the pass is illegal, we're going to have a double foul either way - A 3/20 @ A30; clock on the snap (incomplete pass).
Old Sun Jan 29, 2006, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Roamin' Umpire
1. Don't give B an option - declining the penalty results in A 1/G @ B4 to start the second quarter. They will accept the penalty, which is during a running play, and so is penalized from the end of the run. (Foul is ahead of the basic spot.) 10 yards back from the B15 results in A 4/18 @ B25; one untimed down.

2. This is a PSK foul ahead of the end of the kick, so we'll penalize from the end of the kick. 15 yards for the personal foul (blocking after signal) results in B 1/10 @ B25; clock on the snap (kick).

3. Prepare to catch hell from B's coach. The defender is guilty of pass interference for face guarding (no contact required for PI in NFHS). It's going to be A 1/10 @ A45; clock on the snap (incomplete pass).

4. Loose ball play, with a foul behind the previous spot. It's a 15-yarder, so we're going half the distance from the spot of the foul. A 1/21 @ A9; clock on the snap (OOB).

6. If it wasn't grounding, I'd want to know if the block occurred before or after the pass was thrown, and if it was anywhere near the pass - could be pass interference. Since the pass is illegal, we're going to have a double foul either way - A 3/20 @ A30; clock on the snap (incomplete pass).
Good stuff RU. I agree with all rulings. In Oregon for the past two years we'd let the play go in # 5 and have A replay the try from the B-1.5. Not sure if we'll go this way again this year. One question I have for #6. Since we're replaying the down won’t we go back to the previous clock status even thou the play ended up as an incomplete pass?
Old Sun Jan 29, 2006, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James Neil
Quote:
Originally posted by The Roamin' Umpire

Good stuff RU. I agree with all rulings. In Oregon for the past two years we'd let the play go in # 5 and have A replay the try from the B-1.5. Not sure if we'll go this way again this year. One question I have for #6. Since we're replaying the down won’t we go back to the previous clock status even thou the play ended up as an incomplete pass?
Agree with all of Roamin Ump's rulings.

The status of the clock is determined by the result of the play in the down you are now working. The previous play clock status has no significance, so in #6 we will start the clock on the snap due to the incomplete pass. Thanks for the great quiz!
Old Sun Jan 29, 2006, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Ya know Jimmy, if you'd just wait for the sheriff to deliver that warrant you wouldn't have to spend so much time in Mexico.......

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!