The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   PIT Penalty (https://forum.officiating.com/football/24413-pit-penalty.html)

jack015 Sun Jan 22, 2006 04:33pm

PIT was penalized because the wide out covered up the tight end (at least that was the explaination given by the talking heads) in effect having greater then 7 on the line. Is this correct. I was not aware that the NFL had a rule prohibiting more than 7 on the line or was it that they had more than two eligble numbers on the line?

shave-tail Sun Jan 22, 2006 05:54pm

I can't quote it exactly but the NFL has a rule, something about covering up an eligible number. Ex. a tight end can't be covered by a wide out.

MJT Sun Jan 22, 2006 06:11pm

Quote:

Originally posted by shave-tail
I can't quote it exactly but the NFL has a rule, something about covering up an eligible number. Ex. a tight end can't be covered by a wide out.
You are correct shave-tail.

BktBallRef Sun Jan 22, 2006 07:33pm

Also, an ineligible can be uncovered, even if there are 7 on the LOS.

ABoselli Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:29pm

That's why you have all the reporting as an eligible stuff in the NFL - because of the formation requirements. Eligibles can't be covered and ineligibles must be covered.

FredFan7 Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:20pm

And that's why you have some eight year old with #51 trying to report to you in a pee wee game. I've even see it tried in JV high school games.

ABoselli Mon Jan 23, 2006 08:26pm

Pee Wee and JV, sure. I've even had a varsity coach try it.

They all get the same eye roll.

WhistlesAndStripes Wed Jan 25, 2006 07:14pm

Quote:

Originally posted by FredFan7
And that's why you have some eight year old with #51 trying to report to you in a pee wee game. I've even see it tried in JV high school games.
Under NFHS, they have to have an eligible number or they ain't eligible. They can change jerseys from play to play if moving from linemen to eligible receivers.

tpaul Wed Jan 25, 2006 08:10pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes
Quote:

Originally posted by FredFan7
Under NFHS, they have to have an eligible number or they ain't eligible. They can change jerseys from play to play if moving from linemen to eligible receivers.

We had that in a game. #77 was a RB. Which was okay on the running plays (blocking back). The team was on the goal line and the play broke down and the QB tossed it into the EZ. But #77 was in the EZ. We called ineligible downfield. The coach was freaking out. "He was a RB!" LOL need I say more...LOL

WhistlesAndStripes Wed Jan 25, 2006 08:21pm

You said COACH....what more is there to say :D

Texas Aggie Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:41pm

>>some eight year old with #51 trying to report to you in a pee wee game. I've even see it tried in JV <<

I can live with a player doing it. I actually had an official with supposedly 17 years of experience tell me in a game this past year we worked (well, I worked it anyway) that a player had to report to me (R). This was JH in Texas (read: NCAA).