The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

that during one of Denver's Super Bowl wins, he called a rush by John Elway a TD, even though Elway never crossed the goal line.

Anyone heard that story or read it? Arnie Spanier has been talking about it a little on his show this afternoon, but doesn't plan to get into it until the final hour, and I'll be driving home then and don't get SNR on the radio up here, nor do I pay for SNRs archives.

If you know about this story, please post a link to it.

Thanks.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06023/642544.stm
Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

*"After an official flagged the Broncos Sept. 18 for having too many men on the field against San Diego -- snuffing Darrent Williams' 61-yard punt return -- Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said, "You don't see a lot of calls like that in high school." The league dinged Shanahan for $20,000."*

Probably since we don't let the play occur in high school if there are more than 11 on the field.

Old Wed Jan 25, 2006, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

The play Shanahan was talking about was on a long punt return, several players stepped (and ran) onto the field to watch the play. They had no bearing on the play, but technically a foul. I think the biggest problem the HL or LJ had was that he had to run around players as he followed the play up the sideline. Technically an illegal participation foul according to NFHS rules.

I didn't like the call because it took back a TD, but it was the correct call. You probably wouldn't be as likely to see this in HS because the wings are hightailing to the goalline and players coming onto the field would be occuring behind them. When you have the SJ and FJ though, the HL and LJ are following up the play and they shouldn't have avoid people who are supposed to be on the sidelines.
Old Sun Jan 29, 2006, 01:13pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by Patton
The play Shanahan was talking about was on a long punt return, several players stepped (and ran) onto the field to watch the play. They had no bearing on the play, but technically a foul. I think the biggest problem the HL or LJ had was that he had to run around players as he followed the play up the sideline. Technically an illegal participation foul according to NFHS rules.

I didn't like the call because it took back a TD, but it was the correct call. You probably wouldn't be as likely to see this in HS because the wings are hightailing to the goalline and players coming onto the field would be occuring behind them. When you have the SJ and FJ though, the HL and LJ are following up the play and they shouldn't have avoid people who are supposed to be on the sidelines.
Very true....