The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Reggie Bush Play in Rose Bowl (https://forum.officiating.com/football/24075-reggie-bush-play-rose-bowl.html)

Goodrich56 Fri Jan 06, 2006 01:28pm

In the now infamous Reggie Bush "lateral" play in the Rose Bowl, it appeared that the lateral actually went forward. Therefore, shouldn't it have been whistled as a dead ball, with USC retaining possession (penalty assessed from the spot of the "lateral", still giving USC a first down) or at the very least reviewed, as opposed to having it ruled a fumble, which as we all know was recovered by Texas? How come no one has commented on this possibility? Or am I just missing something. Thanks for your feedback.

Bob M. Fri Jan 06, 2006 01:48pm

REPLY: A lot of folks have already commented on it on other discussion boards. Someone did note however after watching several TIVO replays, that as Bush began his pitch, that ball glanced off of a TU helmet which caused it to move slightly forward.

BktBallRef Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:41am

Quote:

Originally posted by Goodrich56
In the now infamous Reggie Bush "lateral" play in the Rose Bowl, it appeared that the lateral actually went forward. Therefore, shouldn't it have been whistled as a dead ball, with USC retaining possession (penalty assessed from the spot of the "lateral", still giving USC a first down) or at the very least reviewed, as opposed to having it ruled a fumble, which as we all know was recovered by Texas? How come no one has commented on this possibility? Or am I just missing something. Thanks for your feedback.
You also have to realize that both of those tosses, Young's and Bush's, came after long runs. In such situations, the wings are not going to be parallel to the runner, like they are at the LOS when they're watching for a passer crossing the line. To "guess" a pass as being forward in that situation just isn't smart. I think the officials were correct to keep the flags in their pockets.

RefNVa Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:33am

Scott free, I don't think so, he's brought shame and humiliation to himself and the University. He might not admit it but I believe this hurt him; as for his playing in the big league, his natural positions are qb and wr. Remains to be seen whether he can read defenses etc. quick enough to survive at the next level however I beleive he can definitely make it @ wr.

BktBallRef Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:16am

Quote:

Originally posted by RefNVa
Scott free, I don't think so, he's brought shame and humiliation to himself and the University. He might not admit it but I believe this hurt him; as for his playing in the big league, his natural positions are qb and wr. Remains to be seen whether he can read defenses etc. quick enough to survive at the next level however I beleive he can definitely make it @ wr.
Watcha talking 'bout, Ref? :confused:

tpaul Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:56am

Quote:

Originally posted by Goodrich56

I have the game tape and I will have to look it over again.

RefNVa Mon Jan 09, 2006 01:39pm

Wrong post, belongs one step up! NM

:>C