The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

First of all, I don't have a dog in the race so this post is only for discussion. When FSU was on their 1 yard line and the ball was handed off, there was a push by the Penn St. defensive line. The ball carrier was out of the end zone when he was contacted, however I don't think his forward momentum was stopped by a tackle but more by the surge up the middle. After a step or 2 of retreat he was tripped and went down in the end zone. I my arm chair...got to see several replays opinion, I think this should have been a safety. Any other thoughts are welcome on this.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 10:29pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Good call, no safety

Not a safety in my mind.

In possession of the ball, the player clearly was in the field of play, where he was contacted. The force by the defense caused the player to go backwards. I did not see any contact that was released. In this case, I think the forward progress was in the field of play. Good call by the side guy.

Had contact been released, can one make a judgment call in US rules that a backwards step by the carrier was caused by a loss of balance due to the defensive contact? If so, it is still not a safety.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

the ball carrier was over the plane, hit, drove back into the EZ, progress was stopped at this point. My question, the replays did not show was the ball over the plane, not sure, but the official who had the best view was the one who blew the play dead. He also came down the plane in playing field, not the EZ.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

The reason for the post is that I've seen, and everyone else on this site has seen the play where the ball carrier is stopped dead by a surge up the middle by the defense, only to have the ball carrier bounce outside for a large gain. My thoughts are, if the ball carrier hadn't fallen down but bounced outside, if they would have called him down at the 1/2 yard line.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

On the FSU safety in the 4th qtr., I didn't hear the R announce either the IG or the USC foul on the FSU bench. Did ABC just miss it? I didn't here it in the background either.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

The Safety was the IG then the kick was from the 10 due to an USC on the FSU bench
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think the IG was announced nor any signal given either.
I believe ABC cut away when the UC as announced, but the TV guys did say something about it just before the free kick.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 03:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
On the FSU safety in the 4th qtr., I didn't hear the R announce either the IG or the USC foul on the FSU bench. Did ABC just miss it? I didn't here it in the background either.
It was wierd, same thing I was thinking. He signaled saftey but never signaled a penalty, I was thinking the ABC just missed it, same with the USC.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 08:30am
M.A.S.H.

I heard it announced. Just after he signaled the safety, the announcers said another flag had came in late. I thought I heard the R announce the sideline warning, maybe I was hearing things.

I didn't get to watch the whole game since I was working a basketball game, but I watched from about 10:00 remaining in the 3rd quarter until the end and I thought the entire crew did a very good job.

Great game!
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by REQ
The Safety was the IG then the kick was from the 10 due to an USC on the FSU bench
I realize that. I was speaking of an announcement not being made.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith