The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jrfath
Officials in the VT-"Louis-ville" game were announced on TV as being from the Big 12. Do they have a mechanic that includes keeping their flag in the breast pocket? I noticed at least two or officials (R and BJ) carrying their flag there. Any thoughts on this?

Any thoughts on this crew as a whole? I do not think they looked that good, from missing the Vick "stomp", the phantom pass interference, and the R not standing still announcing penalties.

Also, any thoughts on the Jimmy Williams ejection? From the one camera view they showed, it looked like the official had his hands on Williams, trying to lead him to the sideline, when Williams turned trying to get whoever was on him off of him(hard to tell if he knew an official was touching him, and not another player). Should we as officials place our hands on players to physically lead them off the field. I know in some cases, it is necessary. Should we then give leeway if a player does then turn and accidentaly brush an official?
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

I bleed Orange/Maroon, that being said, I believe the WRONG player was ejected. Night and day difference between MVI and MV2. The R on this game looked like he was very nervous about calling this game. Switching gears, I don't think the U on the WV/G game looked very professional with that wad of gum in his mouth.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

They were from Big XII I only saw the R with flag in shirt pocket but he is an old Big 8 R and that is how they did it and he still does it. (Or should be "Did it" as this was his last game) As for him appearing nervous, he looks like that in every game he calls that I have ever seen. Just his personal trait.
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
I only saw the original horrible angle of the ejection play; but in general if a player angrilly turns around and bumps me I don't care if it wasn't towards me it was at least going to be directed to another player, yeah your mistake goodbye, all american seniors should know how to act (play the game, celebrate with your own, everybody goes home). If this would (and it has) happened right after a ball is blown dead, like in a pile when I'm pulling people off if he is obviously appoligetic toward me I'll just tell them to watch who you react to. If this is when it was, during a deadball officials timeout between score and KO a player shouldn't be reacting like he's got to get in someones face.
Again I wish I would have seen a better angle, but the only thing I saw real good was the official's flag flying high after the contact and the official looking at him, if they got the wrong player, wow. The ref did look a little unpolished, like a lot of the players (with a 1-2 month break)

for the phantom DPI, yeah no contact. I forget if there has to be contact in the NCAA or can they call for faceguarding, thanks?
Old Tue Jan 03, 2006, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Need contact in NCAA