The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NothernVA_Ump Send a message via Yahoo to NothernVA_Ump
Question

Did anyone catch that the umpire called a neutral zone infraction at the end of the game? The comentator had just stated that if he was lined up over the center that he would make a swipe for the ball. In the replay it clearly shows that the nose made an attempt to swipe the ball from the center but the ball had already been snapped.

I saw this almost exact play in a anklebitter game this past season. I was the white hat and just before the center snaped the ball, the ball was swatted. The nose had got his hand behind the ball and took it out of the centers hand. I called enchrochment.

Does anyone else feel that the call was not the umpires to make?
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

The talking heads comment was stupid as usual. I'm sure he was attempting to make the act of swatting at the ball seem to be legal when in fact it is not legal should contact with the ball be made.

So the question for this game is, was there contact with the ball? If so, this is a dead ball foul against team-B.

No question, the U. L and H have the eyes to see this and anyone should be able to flag it. I doubt an R would be able to see through to the ball to see contact by the team-B nose tackle.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NothernVA_Ump Send a message via Yahoo to NothernVA_Ump
The color commintary stated that it is a foul to swat at the football. When the replay was shown, I saw a clear swat attempt at the football, but did not see any contact with the football or the center. In this case I would say no foul.

The only reason I saw it as R, was it was a shotgun and the center never snapped the football.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

The idiot commentator was suggesting they attempt the maneuver even before they did so!!! He said somehting like "Yeah I know it is illegal but what do you have to lose, maybe they won't flag it". I suspect someone slipped him a note or whispered in his ear because he then said "Kid's don't try this at home." Dum arse!!!

At full speed I never saw the swipe. And it was not even on the first replay that I saw it. Clearly a defender did swipe but is that what caused the ball to come loose as it apparently did?
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

I slowed down their slow-mo with my DVR. What it showed is that the noseguard swatted the ball before the snap had started. I will say that the nose has very quick hands though. I had to review it several times in order to see it clearly. (I really love that DVR) Akron sure felt like they got screwed.
Old Tue Dec 27, 2005, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Yes and it was a miracle he was able to pull that off without having had any training or practice at it since I am sure they never practiced that. ;-)