The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
If anyone received a message from the NASO yesterday claiming that their account was suspended, DO NOT OPEN THE ATTACHMENT!! It is spam and should be deleted! Just a heads up!
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 09:03pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, I did. I was on the telephone with Verizon for and hour and a half last night. This was the 2nd time it has happened to me. The best way to mitigate this is to use AntiVirus software and have it preScan and quarantine e-mails. The attachment is a virus!

The first time this happened it was from [email protected] and the 2nd time (last nite) it was [email protected] (with Locker Room in the subject line).

What ever you do CHANGE YOUR E-MAIL PASSWORD because this e-mail has a virus that (I believe) finds out your password. I'm not 100% sure how this works but my wife and kids were in Disney World on playoff weekend and I was on the football field. During that time while no one was home someone apparently sent 000's of e-mails in my name and my account was suspended. So, if you happen to click the message just take a precaution and change your password.

If you're a Verizon user (and happen to open the message) forward it to [email protected] and [email protected]. And, change your password immediately after doing so.

Hackers suck!

...and so does inadverent whistles!
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by grantsrc
If anyone received a message from the NASO yesterday claiming that their account was suspended, DO NOT OPEN THE ATTACHMENT!! It is spam and should be deleted! Just a heads up!
Spam or virus, grant? Opening a little spam never hurt anyone.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Virus I believe. I got another message today claiming that once again, my account was suspended.

I spoke with the tech guy at NASO/Referee Mag yesterday and he said somehow, the administrator account was hacked into. He is the only person with access and even he has to log in as the administrator to send something from that account to the locker room list. People in their organization got the same message too, including the tech guy! Hackers are such a pain in the arse.

Bottom line, if you ever get an email with an .zip file, NEVER OPEN IT!! If you have an internet connection, get a software fire wall, I use McAfee and have had good success with it. I really need to create a limited access account (you can do this in Windows XP, not sure about ME and below) which prevents hackers from taking over your computer and not installing hiding spyware.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

It was a virus, I got the email as well but Norton anti virus stoped it.
Old Sun Dec 04, 2005, 10:19am
tpaul

same here my Norton's stopped. always watch for this in any email. they will send about your ebay account or any bank account. sometimes it is a shot in the dark to get you to open the email virus....be carefull!