The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

How do your respective associations interpret the coin toss rules? Specifically, I'm referring to the rule that says only 4 captains are allowed at the toss and everyone else must be in their respective team boxes or "well away" from the vicinity of the toss.

For years we've always allowed extra players to come to the hash. I know I did on Senior day many years ago. Coaches are taking advantage of that now and sending the whole team to the hash to "stare down" their opponents. I'm sure we'll agree this shouldn't be allowed to happen.

What guidelines to you use? What does "well away" really mean? I continue to say the hash but some may interpret the hash to close (it's about 20-24 feet). I think we need to be flexible and also keep this reasonable...all the seniors for senior day...an extra captain....someone who is hurt, etc.

I couple of guys I know said they will not let anyone out to the hash to avoid issues. I'm not sure I agree we should be that strict but we do need to put parameters around this.

Any thoughts, ideas, or guidelines you have in place and would like to share would be appreciated.
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
We stop 'em at the hash. They can come out there if they want. If they choose to not come to the hash, then everything else between the 40s is clear.

I use that time to talk with the players about keeping shirts and belts tucked in and staying back on the sidelines.
Old Thu Nov 17, 2005, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

We stop them at the 9-yard marks. This way if the entire team rushes the captains after the toss then they aren't right out to the center of the field.
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

In NY we're instructed to strictly keep all other players on the sideline.
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

a few years ago, we would bring them out to the hash. the georgia rule book clarified that they were to stay on the sideline since. we usually line them up on the sideline with the backjudge or field judge.

on a different note. have any of you guys had an honorary coin toss? (famous former player, military hero, etc.)
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

There is absolutely no reason an entire team should be on the field even at the hashes for the coin toss. Maybe a fifth captain, otherwise, not.

Think about it, what information can a team gain if 30 plus players are lined up near the toss on teh field?
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

In KY only 4 captains are allowed for the toss. Nobody else is allowed to be on the field. Some guys still allow guys to walk out to the 9 yard/numbersarea but that isn't what the KHSAA wants us doing.
Old Fri Nov 25, 2005, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

In Canada we have no such rule. I have worked for 13 years and I have seen a different number of captains from teams (from 1 to 8) and we have never had a problem.

If you didn't have this rule, would some teams send all their players???
Old Fri Nov 25, 2005, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

I'm in KY too and agree with Gman but a couple of weeks ago, the home team wanted a player who had just gotten out of the hospital with a kidney transplant to come out. I wasn't about to tell him no. But then the head coach comes to the toss carrying his 3 mo old daughter on his hip saying he didn't have anyone to hold her (although as soon as the coin toss was over, I never say the baby again), so I had 6 at the toss for 1 team. I made the executive decision at the time that if anything was said, I would just have to take the blame. Fortunately, I never heard from the incident.