The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

I love officiating football in NJ and yes we wear shorts in JV and freshman games, but varsity? And with striped socks? Ugh! I can't believe we have chapters that allow our officials to dress like clowns!

http://video.mpegnation.com/a0013232...91105142624100

Hit this link, then choose a speed. Great preGame speech by the coach, then the officials?????

Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Back in CNY we were allowed to wear the white shorts
and with the striped socks. I never saw a video/film
with a crew wearing them until this one.
I kind of agree-- it looks like they forgot to
put their pants on ! Also I do not like logos on hats--
and that goes for the NFL too.
Here is SW FL we wear black shorts and white crew sox
for sub-varsity games. Varsity is the knickers and striped sox.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

We wear shorts for varsity scrimmages, we wear knickers for all varsity games, most of our games are at night so its not bad.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
I kept thinking about the umpire on my crew. The poor guy. His knees are shot. One time, we talked up and he overhead a fan or radio announcer say, "Check that guy out! He couldn't stop a greased pig in a hallway!" Our umpire is so bow-legged that his legs look like parentheses or something.

The shorts do look pretty nasty. Who would think that looks good and is acceptable for a varsity game?!?
Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
We have a couple of crews up here (North Jersey) that will wear shorts for varsity games. It makes me cringe whenever I see it. We always try to pass them off as Central Jersey guys!
Old Tue Nov 15, 2005, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge
Great preGame speech by the coach, then the officials?????
Geez....

[i]"You find out life's this game of inches. So is football. Because in either game, life or football, the margin for error is so small -- I mean one-half a step too late, or too early, and you don't quite make it. One-half second too slow, too fast, you don't quite catch it.

The inches we need are everywhere around us.

They're in every break of the game, every minute, every second.

On this team, we fight for that inch. On this team, we tear ourselves and everyone else around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch, because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f*****' difference between winning and losing! Between livin' and dyin'!

I'll tell you this: In any fight, it's the guy who's willing to die who's gonna win that inch. And I know if I'm gonna have any life anymore, it's because I'm still willin' to fight and die for that inch. Because that's what livin' is! The six inches in front of your face!!

Now I can't make you do it. You got to look at the guy next to you. Look into his eyes! Now I think you're gonna see a guy who will go that inch with you. You're gonna see a guy who will sacrifice himself for this team because he knows, when it comes down to it, you're gonna do the same for him!

That's a team, gentleman!

And, either we heal, now, as a team, or we will die as individuals.

That's football guys.

That's all it is.

Now, what are you gonna do?"

I hate the white shorts. I think we look like we just got out of the shower and have towels wrapped around us.

Now, black shorts, I like those. I think that looks sharp.

Late this season, I was doing a game and went with knickers and long sleeves - it was a little cool, nothing freezing or anything. But as I walked onto the field (first guy to arrive), one of the players said "Now you look like an official!" I'm guessing they saw a lot of different getups on officials, and by the looks of some guys I did games with this year, I can see that.

Just like going to a party or a job interview - always better to be overdressed than underdressed.

There's no substitute for knowing all the other stuff that goes into actually being an official, but you first have to start by looking like an official - like someone who has earned respect.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 05:48am
Official Forum Member

We do allow white shorts and striped socks for lower level games, but then the top of the socks must be folded down so that the black portion above the stripes is as big as the one below. Looks a little bit better, I think.

But I'm happy to say that it is very unusual to see officials in shorts, regardless of what game it is.

Agree black shorts (with short white socks) looks better than white.

And while on the topic of esthetics, those flags hanging out here and there are not pretty either...
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

I agree that black shorts with white socks are the way to go......... But at any varsity level game it is knickers or stay at home.
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Uniforms

This has been a bone of contention in our group for several years. It is brought up every year knickers at varsity should be the rule and the member vote fails by a few votes.

The latest resolution is that is up to our white hat, so you work for some your in shorts even for varsity night games.

Something that was verboten in my last group we use to wear the black crew socks for middle school, some freshman jv but never vasity

Since I moved three years ago, and have to go along but it chaffes. Plus here they wear the white shorts for sub varsity games
Old Wed Nov 16, 2005, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Sadly, white shorts and knee socks are the uniform for lacrosse. We wear the same uni as football, but with knee high white socks that have a 4" black top.
Old Sun Nov 20, 2005, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

guys, fashion update, wear black socks with the black shorts.

sub-varsity games, striped shirt, black shorts, black shoes and I wear black under armour socks. These look much better than the white socks. We don't wear white shorts here, although I do have a new pair if anyone wants to purchase them.
Old Sun Nov 20, 2005, 09:19am
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by waltjp
We have a couple of crews up here (North Jersey) that will wear shorts for varsity games. It makes me cringe whenever I see it. We always try to pass them off as Central Jersey guys!
Walt, that is down right mean (even thought it maybe true...LOL)! But I agree shorts is a poor look to say the least. For my crew we will only wear shorts for a scrimmage. For all varsity games we wear nickers! Are shorts really that much cooler? I don't think so.

But I know I filled in on crews that wore shorts and also some that wore shorts with short white socks! That is a piss poor look! I call it the Pop-waner look.
Old Sun Nov 20, 2005, 09:22am
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by irefky
guys, fashion update, wear black socks with the black shorts.

sub-varsity games, striped shirt, black shorts, black shoes and I wear black under armour socks. These look much better than the white socks. We don't wear white shorts here, although I do have a new pair if anyone wants to purchase them.
were are you at?
Old Sun Nov 20, 2005, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tpaul
But I know I filled in on crews that wore shorts and also some that wore shorts with short white socks! That is a piss poor look! I call it the Pop-waner look.
I see that a lot at freshman level and below. I actually think it looks less dorky than shorts and long socks, but that's just me.

One thing I've found is that there's nothing uniform about the uniform when you get sub-varsity.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Sun Nov 20, 2005, 04:37pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by OverAndBack
Quote:
Originally posted by tpaul
I see that a lot at freshman level and below. I actually think it looks less dorky than shorts and long socks, but that's just me.

One thing I've found is that there's nothing uniform about the uniform when you get sub-varsity.
maybe less dorkey but not right for a varsity game...