The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Work close to home in a high school game that is the premiere rivalry in your state, including one of the top teams in the nation.

or

Drive 3 hours (and be away all day and night) to work a college game, that is supposed to be a big rivalry, but has no playoff implications.
Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Depends on the level of college game, the weather, the field, etc etc. I have had many, many great HS games over the years and only 1 or 2 D-III games I have had could compare to them.
Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

When my kids were smaller and into weekend soccer and all that, I would prefer to local HS game. Now that their grown, I'd probably take the college game.

I'll have to add, I've always had fun working HS games. College games were never "fun". I thought it was "neat", "cool", whatever but I don't consider them fun if you know what I mean. Too much pressure and people's jobs are often on the line.
Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Well this might not be quite the same situation.

Earlier this year I told another guy on my crew that I was doing kids games the next day, 4 games @ $40 each so $160. He was talking about his college game the next day and how far he had to drive while getting $150. He complained that I would be getting up later, getting home sooner and making more money. I would have traded him in a second to work a college game.
Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

For me, the HS game would be alot more "fun". I have never worked a college game, but as was mentioned earlier the pressure on coaches and players may take alot of the fun out of it. What do you think NFL officials go through? I have alot of respect for what the college and NFL guys sacrifice to get to where they are, but it is just not for me.

GH
Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Just stopped doing NCAA in New England after 3 years. I have a little one at home and I got tired of being gone all day Saturday. Most Saturdays I would leave at 6am and get back at 9pm. Gave up Pop Warner when I started doing college since I couldn't get away with being gone Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Next year, high school Fridays, permanent 25 second clock operator on 5 Saturdays( school is 15 minutes away. Have to be there at 12:15 for a 1:00 game), and will do 2 Pop Warner Games on Sundays. I really miss the kids.

To answer your question- HS game!!!
Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

It depends on what you mean by close to home. I don't like doing games in the immediate vicinity of where I live. Football is closely covered in the local newspapers and I don't want to become part of the local news if you get my drift. I like to get at least 15 miles from home into the next school district.

I would prefer the high school game if it was 30-45 minutes away. If not, I'd take the college game.