The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 06, 2005, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Albany, NY

First three rounds (i.e. up through sectional finals) are handled by the local associations for that section. For the last three rounds (state quarters, semis, and finals), the state tells each association to send so many Rs, so many Us, etc.; it's entirely up to the local associations who gets sent.
Old Sun Nov 06, 2005, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

In Minnesta.

On our letter from the state for the quarterfinal, they said that if two or more members of our crew could not make the game, the entire crew would be replaced. I believe that is the same for semifinals and finals.
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

in Georgia,
-it depends on your association. ours, we make the playoffs as an individual ranked by position. you then are put with the corresponding crew with your rank. all #1 ranks on #1 crew, #2 with #2, etc. this makes for a couple of very strong crews. this has worked for us the past few years. we have had a state championship game for the past two years.
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

In NC --it's up to each association --which we have 8.
In ours -- it's done by indivuduals --not crews.
The State chooses the ones to do the Finals --based on recommendation from the association.
As far as I know - coaches have ZERO input .
We'll get 2 playoff games --if we are lucky --but the ones working the c-ship games will get one every week -- 5 total.
They'll work together --generally the 3rd week of playoffs -before the c-ship game.
Old Mon Nov 07, 2005, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

I n Ohio, it's highly unethical and down right subversive for a white hat whose first and last name begin with the same letters to work any level of post season play.
Old Thu Nov 10, 2005, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Any organization that would even consider employing such a scoundrel deserves what it gets.
Old Thu Nov 10, 2005, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tpaul
Quote:
I saw that before too (Local crews on Local games). We always have to drive to the other end of the state! You shouldn't have crews doing schools they do during the regular season. It should be hard and fast!
The other end of the state? Aren't you in the middle? I could see Ljudge complaining if he had to come up here but not you.
Old Fri Nov 11, 2005, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

We normally work crews during the year. All games are assigned by a booking agent, so coaches are not an issue.

This year, I am honored to be assigned to work a state championship game. I'll now have one in both sports that I work. But my concern is that the 5 of us have been pulled together from 3 different crews. I'm a little nervous about working with guys that I've never worked with before. Big games...you just don't want to fall on your face, ya know? Just wish we would have had the chance to work just one regular season game together. A blowout would have been great!

No matter, I'm looking forward to it! Can't wait!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Nov 17, 2005, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

here in SE Virginia we use crews assigned by the commisioner.
Old Thu Nov 17, 2005, 03:40pm
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
This year, I am honored to be assigned to work a state championship game. I'll now have one in both sports that I work. But my concern is that the 5 of us have been pulled together from 3 different crews. I'm a little nervous about working with guys that I've never worked with before. Big games...you just don't want to fall on your face, ya know? Just wish we would have had the chance to work just one regular season game together. A blowout would have been great!
For semis and finals they crews are gathered statewide. Each association is allotted officials based on the number of schools they service. But we are in the same boat--working with strangers.
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 07:46pm
tpaul

[QUOTE]Originally posted by waltjp
Quote:
Originally posted by tpaul
Quote:
I saw that before too (Local crews on Local games). We always have to drive to the other end of the state! You shouldn't have crews doing schools they do during the regular season. It should be hard and fast!
The other end of the state? Aren't you in the middle? I could see Ljudge complaining if he had to come up here but not you.
21/2 hour drive for a game is far! Pennsauken isn't that far this year. Maybe an hour. That isn't too bad. I wouldn't say complaining. I would go just about anywere for a game...LOL
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

21/2 hour drive for a game is far! Pennsauken isn't that far this year. Maybe an hour. That isn't too bad. I wouldn't say complaining. I would go just about anywere for a game...LOL [/B]
Who is working Pennsauken? That's local to my chapter but I can't be there. I was told my crew was given consideration for a semi but we only got a quarter and I was very happy with that. We weren't selected for a semi so we decided to work the chains at Delsea for a S.J. Group 3 semi. We had an Atlantic Chapter crew come and work that game tonight.

We have crews coming to North Jersey tomorrow. My old crew where I was a LJ is coming up that way but I'm not sure which game they were assigned.

My LJ called our assignor and offered to work a final chains assignment. Since 'Sauken didn't play yet I'm assuming you're talking about tomorrow's semi. I can't make it because I have to deal with my boat before winter.

If any of you get a final in two weeks let me know. We may offer to work the Pennsauken final if they win because it would then be a Saturday game and we're available then.
Old Fri Nov 18, 2005, 11:02pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge
Quote:

21/2 hour drive for a game is far! Pennsauken isn't that far this year. Maybe an hour. That isn't too bad. I wouldn't say complaining. I would go just about anywere for a game...LOL
Who is working Pennsauken? That's local to my chapter but I can't be there. I was told my crew was given consideration for a semi but we only got a quarter and I was very happy with that. We weren't selected for a semi so we decided to work the chains at Delsea for a S.J. Group 3 semi. We had an Atlantic Chapter crew come and work that game tonight.

We have crews coming to North Jersey tomorrow. My old crew where I was a LJ is coming up that way but I'm not sure which game they were assigned.

My LJ called our assignor and offered to work a final chains assignment. Since 'Sauken didn't play yet I'm assuming you're talking about tomorrow's semi. I can't make it because I have to deal with my boat before winter.

If any of you get a final in two weeks let me know. We may offer to work the Pennsauken final if they win because it would then be a Saturday game and we're available then. [/B]
LJ,
My crew has the Absegami vs Pennsauken game sat at 1PM. We are from Central Jersey. I never heard of either team...LOL

2-3 years ago we had Delsea vs Hammington. Awesome game...

Screw the boat and come on down!
Old Sat Nov 19, 2005, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Shucks! Just getting your message at 2:45. Absebami is out of district but Pennsauken is covered by us. Tony Sacca (Penn State / Arizona Cardinals) is one of Coach Lawrence's assistants. I guess by the time you get this message you would have met him.

EDIT - Wow! I just saw on the internet that Absegami is up 21-0 at halftime. I haven't seen either team this year but that's a surprise.

I read it on...

http://www.nj.com/forums/hsfootballs/

Also, when you get a chance check out....

http://www.sjsportsphotos.com/shop/

I'm sure your game will be on here. I had the Cherry Hill East v. Egg Harbor Township consolation last weekend. Go figure...we had a quarterfinal and no good game picks but a consolation game was covered. Your game should definitely be here by the time you get this message.

[Edited by ljudge on Nov 19th, 2005 at 02:57 PM]
Old Tue Nov 22, 2005, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Last year an Austin (TX) crew was assigned a first round playoff game between an El Paso School and a Lubbock school that was played in New Mexico.

In Texas, "other side of the state" takes on a whole new meaning. Just imagine "out of state!"