The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 31, 2005, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Okay, two years are in the books and I feel like I finally have a handle on where the hell to stand and how to blow the whistle (though, unfortunately, not when).

I really want to add a firm grasp of the rule book over the offseason (or try to).

What's the best way to go about it? I can read the rule book and the case book, but should I just go front to back, spend a month on a section, what?

It's not like there's a lot of high school video around to be studied in the offseason, though I'd do that if I could.

Any suggestions as to how I can best start getting the rulebook and unusual situations down over the next eight months or so would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
I stumbled on this forum this past June. From June on, I spent way too much time reading and posting, just ask my wife.

But by reading these forums (also check nfhs.org and gmcgriff.com) I learned a TON. In fact, there have been sometimes that I have stumped by WH, who's been doing this for over 20 years.

In addition, if you don't already, subscribe to Referee Magazine. The have lots of good stuff in their magazine. Next year, purchase a Redding's guide for Fed ball. This study guide really does a good job of explaining the rules. Plus it isn't written in "Rule Book lingo" but everyday lingo. Makes it way easier to read.
Just some of my suggestions.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Get together with other officials from time to time and select a rule for discussion. Also, check in with these forums. Football might slow down for awhile, but you never know what might pop up.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 10:41am
Do not give a damn!!

I do not do a lot of organized study during the off season while other seasons are in progress. What I will do and have done is when the NCAA games are in progress and NFL games are going on, I will think of situations related to the rules at the HS level. I would also suggest that you attend a playoff game in your area. You can watch other officials and see what they do and how they handle situations. HS kids still do goofy things in those games and it will have you thinking through many rules situations and how to handle them.

If you were to read any one thing, read the casebook. Just understand that rules knowledge is an on going process. There will be a rules change or two that will have ramifications over other rules and you will have to relearn those changes. Football is something that takes years to get a really good grasp over and you will have to learn the many changes that happen.

Peace