The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 26, 2005, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Another first for me in the last game of my second season:

I knew my partner was going to be late, so I started the game myself. Now, except for one game as an umpire, I've been a linesman for every game of my brief career because I really like it, I feel like I'm very into the game that way, and because I do a lot of two-man and the alternative is to be the referee, and I wanted no part of wearing the white hat (in fact, I've never worn my white hat - it's been in my bag since last August, but I've never worn it).

I know, I know, you should try all the positions, but I never felt comfortable enough to even try referee - I knew I'd make a mess of it if I tried it before I was confident enough, and I didn't want to have a bad experience and just chuck it all.

So anyway, it wasn't that bad - I felt in control, did the best I could in a one-man game for most of the first quarter. Had an encroachment on each side that were both obvious, and those easy penalties I can handle.

Partner got there with 2 minutes left in the first quarter, and I knew that we'd be better served (and the game would be better served) with him as referee and me on the chains, so that's what we did the rest of the way, and everything worked out fine (which for me means mostly that I didn't have an inadvertent whistle).

But in that brief period running the show I felt confident enough that now I'm looking forward to doing it next season. I know I need to get much, much better on the rules (especially penalty enforcement), but mechanically and confidence-wise, I feel like I can do it at the lower levels.

I can't believe two things:

1 - How much better I feel at the end of my second year than I did at the end of my first; and
2 - How long it takes to really feel comfortable out there.

It's almost like your first two years are spent making sure you stand in the right place and blow your whistle correctly (an oversimplification, I realize). Then you add judgment and rules application and the other things on top of that. Eventually I'm guessing you get to the point where you don't get fazed by crazy things that happen, and that's when you will feel like you're a "real" official. I'm going to guess that could take as long as five years from when you start.

Anyway, I had all but decided a few weeks ago that I was going to retire at the end of this season (I've already ditched basketball), but now I'm re-thinking that. I was up to undecided before today, but now I think I'll be back next year for my third year. And I won't shirk the referee position if I have a chance to do it.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2005, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
We used to do one man games. Working with a lot of the newer officials that either didn't know where they were going or how long it took to get there (or both!) I used to wind up doing a one man game almost every year.
State of Washington does not alloww them for school ball anymore. You can wait for your partner to show up. If he doesn't, no game.
Fortunately we also have almost dispenced with two man games.

BTW, If you have to do a one man game Get both of the coaches together when you ask if everyone's legally equipped. That way you have a witness if there's a problem (lawsuit) later.

[Edited by Jim S on Oct 27th, 2005 at 01:36 AM]

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!