The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   After the interception.... (https://forum.officiating.com/football/22785-after-interception.html)

Rich Sat Oct 22, 2005 03:08am

Final varsity game tonight. Final score 60-28, so not exactly the close game.

But, here's a play that happened tonight (before I go to bed):

A throws an interception. On the return, A commits a live ball personal foul and B commits an illegal block in the back.

Sort it out.

Jim S Sat Oct 22, 2005 03:47am

So you ask B if they want to decline A's foul and keep the ball. If he says yes, you enforce the foul on B (A has no choices) and give B 1&10 from 10 yards behind the spot of the block in the back.

yankeesfan Sat Oct 22, 2005 09:42am

Quote:

Originally posted by Jim S
So you ask B if they want to decline A's foul and keep the ball. If he says yes, you enforce the foul on B (A has no choices) and give B 1&10 from 10 yards behind the spot of the block in the back.
if A's foul was before the interception then B would have to decline the penalty and have their illegal block in the back enforced, but since B intercepted and both happened after i would think they offset or enforced in order of occurence. B would keep the ball either way.

[Edited by yankeesfan on Oct 22nd, 2005 at 10:45 AM]

andy1033 Sat Oct 22, 2005 09:59am

B must declines A's foul to keep the ball, regardless of when A's foul occured before or after the interception.

jack015 Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:01am

Quote:

Originally posted by yankeesfan
Quote:

Originally posted by Jim S
if A's foul was before the interception then B would have to decline the penalty and have their illegal block in the back enforced, but since B intercepted and both happened after i would think they offset or enforced in order of occurence. B would keep the ball either way.

[Edited by yankeesfan on Oct 22nd, 2005 at 10:45 AM]

B got the ball "with clean hands", therefore they can decline A's foul and keep the ball. A will no doubt accept B's penalty. 1st and 10 for B after enforcement.

MJT Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:09am

This is definitley a basic "clean hands" principle, and we will have B's ball after B's penalty is enforced.

Rich Sat Oct 22, 2005 01:50pm

Quote:

Originally posted by MJT
This is definitley a basic "clean hands" principle, and we will have B's ball after B's penalty is enforced.
OK, it wasn't exactly a hard one.

We threw more flags in this game than I've ever seen in a varsity game. Home team finished 3-6, visiting team 1-8. The home team, in the last three seasons, was 1-26 (0-9, 0-9, 1-8).

PSU213 Sat Oct 22, 2005 09:07pm

Quote:

Originally posted by jack015
A will no doubt accept B's penalty.
Not to be picky about this, but under NF rules, A has no penalty options on this play if B declines A's foul (10-2-2).