The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Question

So, for the back/line judges out there:

On a kick, a receiver in position has made a proper fair catch signal. Do you say anything to let the kicking team know? It seems to me that, much like the "ball's away" cry by the referee on kicks and passes, this could help us avoid unnecessary personal fouls.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

?????? I am missing something here.

If it is after the catch is made you oughta be blowing the whistle so there is no way you can say anything. If it is while ball is coming down you are giving potentially confusing info to the kids who may think they cannot contact the receiver after receiver muffs the ball.

When are you suggesting vocalizing and what are you suggesting be said??
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TXMike
?????? I am missing something here.

If it is after the catch is made you oughta be blowing the whistle so there is no way you can say anything. If it is while ball is coming down you are giving potentially confusing info to the kids who may think they cannot contact the receiver after receiver muffs the ball.

When are you suggesting vocalizing and what are you suggesting be said??
I agree - there's really not much you can say. Once he catches the ball tweet.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Your asking that the down field official let the kicking team know that a proper fair catch signal has been made??

Ahhhhh, I don't think so. The receiver could easily decide to let the ball go over his head and you just stopped the kicking teams possible persuit.

Worse yet, he could have muffed the reception.

Bad idea.. bad..
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
Your asking that the down field official let the kicking team know that a proper fair catch signal has been made??

Ahhhhh, I don't think so. The receiver could easily decide to let the ball go over his head and you just stopped the kicking teams possible persuit.

Worse yet, he could have muffed the reception.

Bad idea.. bad..
I understand the original question but it is different than a pass being thrown and Theisey's reasoning hits why it is different right smack on the head.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not necessarily convinced this is a bad idea, but I personally wouldn't do it. Most of the arguments made here don't really hold water. Just cause the official has vocalized to the K players coming in to cover the ball that a fair catch signal has been made, it's still up to them whether they continue pursuit, etc. Besides, they should also know that even if there has been a fair catch signal made, they can still play a muff or a kick the potential receiver chooses to let go instead. I can see the point in it, but not something I think I'd ever do.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

The difference is with pass or kick away you are vocalizing because the ball has left the area. With your idea, you are potentially stopping play with a live ball that's entering the area. That is a bad idea.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

As George Bush Sr. would say, "Bad...Baaaad!" The biggest fear I have when I back judge is blowing it dead too soon because I've seen a lot of muffs. Also, I have to be thinking about the END of the kick and wear to bag it. At that time I have the whistle in my mouth and for once, I have to shut up.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2005, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
...The biggest fear I have when I back judge is blowing it dead too soon because I've seen a lot of muffs.
REPLY: Many people blow the whistle too soon on a fair catch because they feel it necessary to "protect" the receiver. No need to...his signal has provided him protection, and everyone in the place knows it. I typically won't blow the whistle until just about the time the receiver turns to hand me the ball.