The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Bean bag interception (https://forum.officiating.com/football/22712-bean-bag-interception.html)

ThickSkin Tue Oct 18, 2005 05:28pm

I know that you are supposed to bean bag the spot of an interception but can somebody explain to me why? I have tried and tried to think of the reason but can't. Does it have to do with whether or not there is a penalty before/after the interception?

Thank you.

JugglingReferee Tue Oct 18, 2005 05:31pm

Canadian Mechanic

Quote:

Originally posted by ThickSkin
I know that you are supposed to bean bag the spot of an interception but can somebody explain to me why? I have tried and tried to think of the reason but can't. Does it have to do with whether or not there is a penalty before/after the interception?

Thank you.

We do not bag the Point of Interception.

ThickSkin Tue Oct 18, 2005 05:33pm

My apologies

I have been told wrong then! Thank you for the correct information!

JugglingReferee Tue Oct 18, 2005 05:41pm

Re: My apologies

Quote:

Originally posted by ThickSkin
I have been told wrong then! Thank you for the correct information!
ThickSkin,

Please note that my post is for the Canadian rules!

All posts I make that relate to the Canadian game only are identified with the text at the top of my post and a lightbulb.

schwinn Tue Oct 18, 2005 05:45pm

Bean bagging the spot of the interception is of no significance in Fed.

Jim S Tue Oct 18, 2005 05:55pm

If you're inside the 5 it does.

ThickSkin Tue Oct 18, 2005 05:58pm

inside the 5

why. please explain in more detail

l3will Tue Oct 18, 2005 06:06pm

momentum exception for a safety.... 8-5-2a.

AndrewMcCarthy Tue Oct 18, 2005 06:31pm

Quote:

Originally posted by l3will
momentum exception for a safety.... 8-5-2a.

If the ball is intercepted by B inside the 5 yard line and B's momentum takes him into his own end zone, bag the spot of the catch. If the ball becomes dead in the end zone you'll set the ball up at the spot of the bag.

Without this rule exception the play would have been a safety.

MJT Tue Oct 18, 2005 06:57pm

So to bump this up, and extend it, what has to occur for the interception to occur? What has to happen for the interception to be completed, and thus bean bagged?

schwinn Tue Oct 18, 2005 08:20pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jim S
If you're inside the 5 it does.
Oops! You're right. Momentum.

Gman34 Tue Oct 18, 2005 08:25pm

MJT...

I think I got this one...

A catch by B...

In close vicinity to the GL...

grantsrc Tue Oct 18, 2005 09:00pm

Quote:

Originally posted by MJT
So to bump this up, and extend it, what has to occur for the interception to occur? What has to happen for the interception to be completed, and thus bean bagged?
The catch has to be complete. If B is airborne, catches the ball, and lands in the end zone and gets tackled, now what?!? [Bumping up MJT's post even more]

[Edited by grantsrc on Oct 18th, 2005 at 10:03 PM]

MJT Tue Oct 18, 2005 09:48pm

That's where I am going with it Grant.

Kirby Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:19pm

Quote:

Originally posted by grantsrc
Quote:

Originally posted by MJT
The catch has to be complete. If B is airborne, catches the ball, and lands in the end zone and gets tackled, now what?!? [Bumping up MJT's post even more]

[Edited by grantsrc on Oct 18th, 2005 at 10:03 PM]

I'd say Touchback. The catch isn't completed until the player makes contact with the ground in this case and A's pass is the force that put the ball in the EZ, so therefore we have a Touchback.

I feel like you guys are getting at something different and this is a trick question. Please fill me in :D