The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 10:21am
Esteemed Participant

Varsity game last Friday night...opposing QB throws a backward pass to running back flaring out of backfield (yes, it was clearly thrown backwards)...RB falls down and pass sails over his head. Our linebacker runs in and scopps it up and takes about two steps before the Line Judge blows his whistle and signals incomplete pass...the White Hat immediately runs over for a little discussion with the LJ, and then tells us it is an inadvertant whistle and the down will be replayed...so here's my questions: since the whistle blew after we had recovered the ball, shouldn't we have retained possession? Doesn't the offensive team get the choice to replay the down or take the result of the play? And since we had the ball when the whistle blew, doesn't that make us the offensive team?

Note: the white hat very clearly told us that it was a backward pass and the LJ had no business blowing his whistle and (his own words) we were screwed out of a possession...but when I asked him these questions, he just got a confused look on his face and walked away...
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

The only time that there would not be a choice for the team in possession would be when the ball is a loose ball, ie. a punt, pass, loose fumble, etc. The way you describe the situation you should have had the choice to retain possession and take the ball at the spot when the IW was blown or have the play replayed. Obviously, the choice would have been to take the results of the play giving you the ball.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

I agree with SoGAref, IW was blown after the ball was picked up by B, which was ruled a fumble. B should have been given the choices and would have taken the ball at the point of the IW.

Question: Where was the ball placed in regards of the LOS? Did it go back to the original or the place where B picked up the loose ball?

Question: Just what happened after A was given the ball back?
Old Mon Oct 17, 2005, 11:25am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by irefky
I agree with SoGAref, IW was blown after the ball was picked up by B, which was ruled a fumble. B should have been given the choices and would have taken the ball at the point of the IW.

Question: Where was the ball placed in regards of the LOS? Did it go back to the original or the place where B picked up the loose ball?

Question: Just what happened after A was given the ball back?
Thanks for the responses...to answer the questions: 1)It went back to the original LOS and they replayed third down...2)the game went on...we (or I) questioned the ruling like I said, and when the WH said "Nope. Replay the down" we went back to coaching...

At halftime, we ended up walking up the stairs to the locker room behind the officials, and the LJ turned and apologized to us...I told him to forget it and have a good second half. That's about it...