The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

I get in this discussion alot. On my crew myself, the referee, and my umpire use a thumbs up signal to indiacte we have 11 on offense and thumbs down for 10 or less.

I picked that up years ago while working in the East Bay CA area from some really good college officials. Well, here on Long Island, NY they use the fist signal to indicate eleven.

Of course, my question is how do you indicate less than 11? No signal may be that either R or U has simply forgot.

Appreciate hearing ideas both ways.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Lately I've been using fist and L-shaped elbow pointed in the general direction of the team I'm counting (usually B, as I'm L in 2-man).

I was taught to go thumbs down in that direction on 10 and to toss the flag on the snap at 12 (after counting again to make sure).
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

As the R, the U and I hold our fists at chest level per the Official's Manual (Fed). We are thumbs up for >11 and thumbs down for <11.

I watched a college crew last week and the R and U gave each other the Inadvertant Whistle signal, extending their fists straight out at arms length.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

The signal for 10 (or fewer) that we're taught up here is to put both hands, fully open, on your chest - 10 fingers. For 11, we use the raised fist to one side of our body (straight in front makes it tough to see).
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 04:19pm
I Bleed Crimson

For 11, we just hold a fist out.

For less than 11, we point down and twist our finger. Like drilling down.

For more than 11, just like less than 11, but pointing up instead.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Both officials (R and U) can't forget to count. It's got to become so presnap automatic that you don't even know you are doing it.

I don't like the thumb-up vs thumb-down signal. On poorly light fields, it's hard to discriminate between the two from the wing position as we look for this from the "R"
Just a simple fist will do for 11, and an open hand (or both hand) to the chest will do for 10 or less.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

A fist for 11, nothing for 10, and a flag for 12 or more
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Fist extended for 11. 5-fingers on the chest for 10 and 2 fingers on the chest for 12, with flag if they are about to snap with 12 and no one is going off.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Fist extended for 11 or less. Don't care if they have 10. Wide guys will handle that if it results in < 7 on LOS. I don't believe we should be tipping either team that they don't have enough players on the field, especially at the varsity level and I believe a different signal for < 11 may do that.

For the guys who have a separate signal for < 11, what is the purpose of this signal, to communicate to the wide guys to look for illegal formation?
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally posted by BayouUmp
Fist extended for 11 or less. Don't care if they have 10. Wide guys will handle that if it results in < 7 on LOS. I don't believe we should be tipping either team that they don't have enough players on the field, especially at the varsity level and I believe a different signal for < 11 may do that.

For the guys who have a separate signal for < 11, what is the purpose of this signal, to communicate to the wide guys to look for illegal formation?
This is my R's belief too. I don't necessarily agree. First, I think signalling 10 is a great help for the wings who may have a hard time counting if there's 7 on the LOS. Secondly, I have a hard time believing that a coach or player is watching us to see if we're going to signal 10 players and then have the wits about them to call a TO or send in another player. Most of the time you can tell them that they don't have enough players and they'll still look at you like you're speaking another language.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by waltjp
Most of the time you can tell them that they don't have enough players and they'll still look at you like you're speaking another language.
Ain't that the truth. Especially on a kickoff.

Had a play Wednesday where B had 10, A ran 70 yards for a touchdown against them. Got to the end zone, someone on B noticed they had 10. I said, "This game is hard with 11, gentlemen. It's even harder with 10." And they still didn't get another guy on for the try, so they gave up 2 more points.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Fist out for 10, twirly finger up for more, twirly down for less.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Elbow down and fist up by right shoulder if 11, thumb down in 10, and thumb up if 12 while I recount and then a flag. All this is done before the offense ever gets to the LOS.

I don't understand the "don't want to signal 10 part?" 1 out of 500 teams might look at you to see if you give a signal for less than 10 so why does that matter? Why would they care anyway if the offense only has 10? What difference does it make to the defense? More important than the defense knowing is that the everyone is looking to make sure there is 7 on the LOS. SOMEONE had better have that call. I am going to be looking to see if I can notice they have 7 on the line and will have a flag myself if that is the case. I would assume I will have a flag from my wings as well, but if not, mine will be there.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 05:52am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Quote:
Originally posted by OverAndBack
I was taught to go thumbs down in that direction on 10 and to toss the flag on the snap at 12 (after counting again to make sure).
Quote:
Originally posted by andy1033
A fist for 11, nothing for 10, and a flag for 12 or more
Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
Fist extended for 11. 5-fingers on the chest for 10 and 2 fingers on the chest for 12, with flag if they are about to snap with 12 and no one is going off.
I really hope what you guys meant, and I am sure you did but forgot to include it, is flag and kill when you count 12 and no one is heading off. If 12 is in the act of leaving the field, you let him go. If he leaves the field before the snap, he's ok. I'm pretty sure that is what you meant.

As for signs, we use thumbs up for 11, rolling fists for 12. This tells the HL and BJ that I counted 12, I am counting again and that they should let me know what they counted. Sometimes we make a mistake counting and it's nice to know someone else has 12 also. For 10, thumbs down.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2005, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BayouUmp

First, if either R or U has ten, the other official checks to confirm.

If you have less than 11, then four line up in the backfield, you have an illegal formation. BTW, as R I count the number of players in the backfield.

With less than eleven and three line up in the backfield there is no foul.

I always check the wings signals to know if a player on the end of the line is a back.

[Edited by Ed Hickland on Oct 14th, 2005 at 09:36 AM]