The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

It's late in the day and I have a few minutes for the rule book and I'm totally confused. I'm thinking I'm just brain dead. Help me sort this out.

3-3-3...A period must be extended by an untimed down if during the last timed down of the period, one of the following occurs:

a. There was a foul, other than USC or nonplayer, or fouls that specify loss of down by either team and the penalty is accepted.

3-3-4...A period shall not be extended by an untimed down if during the last timed down of the period, one of the following occurs:

b. There is a foul that specifies loss of down and the penalty is accepted. The score is cancelled in the event of an accepted foul that specifies loss of down.

Are these two rules in direct conflict, or did I miss a correction from the Fed or am I having a bout of rectal optosis? Please help.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

While it wasn't officially published on the NF Web site (ref: http://www.nfhs.org/scriptcontent/va...Footer=FB_FOOT )

We were told at our August meeting that 3-3-3-a was supposed to read, "there was a foul, ( other than unsportsmanlike or noplayerm or fouls that specify loss of down ) by either team and the penalty is accepted.

Note the bold parenthesis around the wording.

YOY can't the NF people go back and update their web site is a question only they can answer.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

I've just returned from a long, hard bike ride and it makes perfect sense now. 3-3-3a says any foul except for USC, except for nonplayer and except for LOD. Thanks.