The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Has anyone ever had the team that was scored upon choose to kick off???

In other words... Team A scores a touchdown or a field goal, then Team B decides that they want to kick off to Team A.

NFHS rule 8-3-9 ... After a try, the opponent of the scoring team shall designate which team will kick off.
8-4-2 ... After a field goal, the oppenent of the scoring team shall designate which team will kick off.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

I've wondered why that rule is in there. I guess if a team was really blowing out another team, they could allow the team way behind, who just scored, to receive the kickoff. Or maybe the coach is mad at his defense for letting the opponent score and wants them to go out and stop them this time!
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

I used to work with an old referee who always asked the captain of the scored upon team which team did he want to kick off. Of course they all thought he was senile old lunatic.
Here is one situation where it might be called for:
Team A scores a TD and PAT to trail 9 to 7 with 20 seconds left in the game. Team B's kikcker can kick it to the end zone every time. Team B elects to kick off and make Team A go 80 yds in 20 seconds, versus the possibility of Team A recovering an on side kick at about the 45, one 20 yard pass, a time out and then a field goal to win the game.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, I have. Freshman game, the home team is getting blown out. After the visitors score again, the home team coach calls me over & lets me know he wants to kick off. I told him by rule he has that right, but I wanted to make sure he really wanted it. He did and he told me it was because his kicker wanted to try his "new" on side kick and the way they were going they'd never score to give him a chance. Anyway, it turned out the kicker was the school's star soccer player who hit a laser line shot into the chest of the R player right in front of him. K recovered it too, especially since it rebounded nearly 10 yds. Naturally the home team fumbled the ball away on the 2nd play from scrimmage, but that was kinda expected considering the way things had gone.
Old Wed Oct 12, 2005, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

I maybe wrong, but many, many years ago, I believe in the old "Hula Bowl" played in Hawaii, that rule was automatically in effect during the fourth quarter. In other words, if the team behind scored in the fourth quarter, they would again receive the next kickoff. The "Hula Bowl" cited the previous mentioned rules as the legal basis for this. They did this to protect themselves against a lopsided game. Needless to say, there some amazing come from behind rallies in this contest, and some very exhausted defensive squads!