The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   MNF: Did I hear that correctly? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/22556-mnf-did-i-hear-correctly.html)

OverAndBack Mon Oct 10, 2005 08:50pm

Illegal formation penalty on Pittsburgh just now in the Monday Night game - Al Michaels says that it was so loud, the players couldn't hear the whistle that the play was dead, so they continued.

Am I wrong, or is illegal formation a foul at the snap? So you wouldn't shut the play down? Or is it different in the NFL?

The play-by-play says:

Quote:

(14:47) B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete to A.Randle El (D.Edwards).
PENALTY on PIT-H.Ward, Illegal Formation, 5 yards, enforced at PIT 16 - No Play.

Is it no play because they took the penalty, or because there really was no play because it was shut down? And if it was shut down, you wouldn't note the incomplete pass?

I'm thinking Michaels got it wrong, but I want to check to make sure.

JRutledge Mon Oct 10, 2005 09:09pm

There is a reason we tell young officials not to watch NFL games. :D

Illegal formation is a live ball foul at all levels. It is not a foul and cannot be a foul until the snap takes place.

Peace

OverAndBack Mon Oct 10, 2005 09:17pm

Right, which means the play would continue - so there would be no whistle for the players not to hear so they would stop playing, correct? It's one of those "drop the flag, continue officiating" things, right?

MJT Mon Oct 10, 2005 09:50pm

I think they said the play was blown dead cuz Ward was in the NZ before the snap and the play was actually blown dead.

tpaul Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:29pm

Quote:

Originally posted by MJT
I think they said the play was blown dead cuz Ward was in the NZ before the snap and the play was actually blown dead.
MJT,
you are correct that is what happened...

OverAndBack Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:16pm

Quote:

Originally posted by MJT
Then it wouldn't be illegal formation, would it? I mean, if he's lined up in the NZ, that's encroachment, isn't it? I know you'd shut it down for that. But then it was listed on the official play by play as illegal formation. I'm just confused.

MJT Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:20pm

Quote:

Originally posted by OverAndBack
Quote:

Originally posted by MJT
Then it wouldn't be illegal formation, would it? I mean, if he's lined up in the NZ, that's encroachment, isn't it? I know you'd shut it down for that. But then it was listed on the official play by play as illegal formation. I'm just confused.

Pretty sure the play by play is wrong.

cougar729 Tue Oct 11, 2005 02:11am

Don't try to understand NFL rules unless you are an NFL official. The only useful thing you can get from watching NFL is the mechanics, basically the same.