The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Question

The white cap and field judge both raise their hands for touchdown. They then confer with a side judge who they allow to over rule them. It is the typical play of the ball carrier sticking the ball across the plane of the endzone and then being forced out or bounds. Were the other two correct in reversing the TD call?
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Not sure if you're using the right terminology but it's the guy on the pylon all day. Was there someone there?
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Sort of, I should have also stated that this was a 3 man crew for youth football. My main question was surrounding once there was a TD signaled are they able to overturn it?
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Yes they can. It may look bad but the bottom line is to get it right. One guy may have signalled TD while another guy had his foot out at the 5. Place it at the 5 and move on.

Plays on the sideline or endline usually require the official to look to his partner for a quick nod beofre he goes up with his signal. The large area to be covered by 3-man combined with the probable inexperience of the youth league officials (usually newer officials using this as a training ground with a vet) sometimes makes things like this happen.

Also, if they are "overturning" the TD call, they better make everyone aware of what's going on so nobody assumes the next down is the try.
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

In a 3 man crew, you have R, HL, and either LJ or U (depending on NCAA or FED mechanics). R and U should not have signalled a TD at all - this is HL's (and LJ's) call. And if there is a difference of opinion, it's HL's to overrule R and/or U in order to get it right. He's the only one that sees goalline, ball, and knee at the same time.
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

I totally agree with getting the call right. Last week, on side kick, I was WH, stepped into pot hole, rolled my ankle, fail flat on my face. I never seen the play.

My LJ, which was the side of the on-side kick stated he had first touch on the R 47, so I awarded ball to K since they recovered. Then the LJ said it was on this side of the 50 which was the K side. I had already signaled possession but no play had been ran. I then spoke to all involved and the HL said he did not think K touched the ball but LJ who was closer said K did. OK, ruling, first touching, R takes ball at K47, 1-10.

Of course I had to go explain to K HC about the ruling. This was a JV game, new official at LJ, I crucified him by not having a bean bag. He threw his flag for the spot.
Old Tue Oct 04, 2005, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

That's what HATS are for!
Old Wed Oct 05, 2005, 03:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
That's what HATS are for!
Been calling high school ball for 5 years and I have never tossed my hat. I have my primary bean bag and then a different color second one in my pocket. Only have had to use it 1 time on a punt play (end of kick and then fumble). I have also never seen another crew throw a hat as I recall for a high school game. There may have been but not that I recall.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Wed Oct 05, 2005, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

I have 2 bags and 2 flags as well, but had to use the hat once. Flag at the snap for illegal motion on a punt (NCAA rules) - they went straight from the sideline to punt formation and were no where near set when they snapped it. Flag number 2 when it got returned all the way back, but there was a BIB at about the 20 going in. Then the kid spiked it. There goes my hat.
Old Wed Oct 05, 2005, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

I saw Hochuli throw his hat when there were two fumbles. A fumbled(bean bag), B picked it up ran, fumbled (threw his hat). At first I did not see the beginning of the play so I was wondering how his hat came off, I saw a LJ with his hat off too. Then they showed the replay and I figured it out.