The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Fake taking a knee (https://forum.officiating.com/football/22380-fake-taking-knee.html)

don't move Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:39am

Just before halftime, Team A lines up tight, apparently getting ready to take a knee. QB takes the snap and takes a slight dip, knee never touches. He then throws a spot pass to receiver for a TD. QB was not down by rule. Legal? If illegal, what rule appllies?

WhistlesAndStripes Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:42am

Well, if the QB or anyone from A told us they were taking a knee, I'm blowing it dead and they won't get away with this one. If they do this all on their own with no verbal indication to me or my crew that they are planning to take a knee, other then the formation may indicate it, we're lining up for the try.

TXMike Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:43am

NCAA rules specifically state that this action causes the ball to become dead.

w_sohl Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:49pm

So you can't fake taking a knee in college?

Bob M. Fri Sep 30, 2005 01:02pm

Quote:

Originally posted by w_sohl
So you can't fake taking a knee in college?
REPLY: Correct. NCAA rules say the ball is dead "when a runner simulates placing his knee on the ground." Not a foul...just a dead ball

tpaul Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:09am

NCAA you can't do it but nothing in the NFHS say that...

whaddayouknow Sat Oct 01, 2005 08:00am

Quote:

Originally posted by don't move
what rule appllies?
The inadvertant whistle I plan on blowing. :)

Two weeks ago, we had a team 'take a knee' at the end of the first half, even though we thought they had a scoring opportunity. They did not mention to our crew that they would be doing this. The QB dipped quickly but did not quite hit the ground. Their linemen nor backs blocked or moved. The defense shot the gaps and were headed right for a free shot on the QB.

By rule, I guess we should have just let this play go. Perhaps they were even trying a 'fake' like you mentioned. I have no qualms about blowing the whistle on this. I think our duty is more toward safety.

jwaz Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:10pm

This is clearly trying to deceive. Isn't there a rule covering this in fed rules?

cougar729 Sat Oct 01, 2005 03:25pm

isnt football a game of deceit? Let the play stand.

TXMike Sat Oct 01, 2005 03:33pm

International spying is a game of deceit. Football is a game of power, speed, and finesse. Faking a knee down is as dishonest as waving for a fair catch and then taking off with the ball after it is caught.

don't move Sat Oct 01, 2005 05:07pm

It occurs to me this was in the case book severl years ago, and it said to blow it dead, but I don't know what rule is used to do that.

Texas Aggie Sat Oct 01, 2005 08:38pm

I agree with TXMike on the interp, but not the opinion of dishonesty. How is faking a knee any different than faking a handoff? A draw play?

TXMike Sat Oct 01, 2005 08:50pm

When you fake a handoff you are not trying to make the defense think the play is dead so they let up. You are just fooling them about who will get the ball or what kind of play it might be. Do you think they should be allowed to wave like it will be a fair catch and then take off with the ball??? Same concept. This is a violent game and we permit people to do things that are unthinkable on the street. In order to have some semblance of control we have to have some standards of decency. Faking a kneel down is violating that.

[Edited by TXMike on Oct 2nd, 2005 at 07:28 AM]

Theisey Sat Oct 01, 2005 09:24pm

It should be an illegal act for NFHS, but alas it's not. Rule site in the FRD manual is 4-2-2-a.
It's in this manual as for NCAA the play is over as soon as you see this fake knee attempt.

Personally, I think it stinks (the NF ruling).

ref18 Sat Oct 01, 2005 09:38pm

I agree with whaddayouknow,

this is a perfect situation where an inadvertant whistle isn't a bad thing. In fact, I'd have an intentional inadvertant whistle.