The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 20, 2005, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

This may have been discussed already but I missed it. In 1-4-2 and 1-4-3 the rule uses the word "recommended" for the numbering of players. In rule 7-2-5, the word "requirements" is used when discussing player numbers. In 7-2-5 it only requires the lineman to be wearing specified numbers. Is it ok for a player in the backfield, or end of the line to be wearing a number 50-79? Where does the idea that these players have to report to the WH that they are eligible runners/receivers come from? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Tue Sep 20, 2005, 11:58am
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally posted by 9redskin4
This may have been discussed already but I missed it. In 1-4-2 and 1-4-3 the rule uses the word "recommended" for the numbering of players. In rule 7-2-5, the word "requirements" is used when discussing player numbers. In 7-2-5 it only requires the lineman to be wearing specified numbers. Is it ok for a player in the backfield, or end of the line to be wearing a number 50-79? Where does the idea that these players have to report to the WH that they are eligible runners/receivers come from? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I think that is an NFL (and college??) thing. There are no exceptions to the numbering requirements for pass eligibility. Numbers 50-70 are always ineligible.

(Unless, of course, you have 8-man or 6-man games.)
Old Tue Sep 20, 2005, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
SUUDY, of course, means that 50-79 are ineligible.
Old Tue Sep 20, 2005, 12:16pm
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally posted by waltjp
Isn't that what I said?
Old Tue Sep 20, 2005, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Any player can wear any number. There are no provisions to report to the officials to become an eligible receiver wearing an ineligible number. For A to have a legal scrimmage play they must have at least 5 players wearing numbers from 50-79 lined up on the LOS unless you use the scrimmage kick exception. There is no requirement as to which players are wearing those numbers. To be an eligible receiver you must not be wearing numbers 50-79 and you must either be a back or the end on the LOS, that means that the center can be eligible in the right formation. Backs who do not ever go down field during pass plays or ever try to catch forward passes may wear any number.
Old Tue Sep 20, 2005, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally posted by Suudy
Quote:
Isn't that what I said?
If your fingers work anything like mine it's completely understandable.
Old Tue Sep 20, 2005, 02:00pm
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
If your fingers work anything like mine it's completely understandable. [/B]
Reminds me of a story my Jr high football coach told us centers about not picking up, tilting, or rotating the ball. "In the NFL, those guys have been hit so much, their hands barely work anymore. With those big knuckles it can be hard to hold on to the ball. You guys are too young and small to have that excuse. DO NOT PICK UP THE BALL!"

Stuck with me the rest of my football playing days--and my officiating days too!
Old Wed Sep 21, 2005, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

I can not find anywhere in the rules book where it designates the receiver or backfield numbers. It requires certain numbers for the lineman, but not the other positions. It just gives "recommended" numbers. I interpret that to mean backs and recievers can wear any number since there is no requirement on them. Please give me a specific location that states what you all have said above, or is it just implied.
Old Wed Sep 21, 2005, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Backs and receivers can wear any number, but if they want to be eligible receivers, they better choose something other than a number in the 50-79 range. NCAA rule 7-3-3:

Eligibility to Touch Legal Pass
ARTICLE 3. Eligibility rules apply during a down when a legal forward pass is thrown. All Team B players are eligible to touch or catch a pass.
When the ball is snapped, the following Team A players are eligible:
a. Each player who is in an end position on his scrimmage line and who is wearing a number other than 50 through 79 (A.R. 7-3-3-I).
b. Each player who is legally positioned as a back wearing a number other than 50 through 79.
c. A player wearing a number other than 50 through 79 in position to receive a hand-to-hand snap from between the snapperÂ’s legs.

Don't have a rule reference for NF, but AFAIK the rules are pretty much the same.

The thing about reporting comes from the NFL, where that is possible (no such thing in college!!!). However, there are furter differences on the numbering rules between NFL and NCAA/NFHS rules in addition to that one.
Old Wed Sep 21, 2005, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

7.5.6 a) All A players eligible by position and number include those who, at the time of the snap, are on the ends of their scrimmage line or legally behind the line (possible total of six) and are numbered 1-49 or 80-89. (See 7.2.5a EXCEPTION)

Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 05:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Warrenkicker
that means that the center can be eligible in the right formation.
The center can never be elligible. The center is never on the end of the LOS. The 'snapper' may be elligible, but not the center. The center is not necessarily always the one who snaps the ball. That's probably what you meant....
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the clarification on the receivers. Does this also apply to the running backs on a hand off? They are obviously not eligible to catch a pass wearing the wrong number, but can someone wearing 50-79 take a handoff?
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Eligibility rules applies only for forward passes. If it's not a forward pass, we don't care about eligibility. A handoff is not a forward pass.

Don't get hung up on if his position is normally refered to as wide receiver or running back, we don't care about that. If he is in the backfield, he is a back by rule. His number then determines if he is also an eligible receiver.

Hope I didn't confuse you with that answer.

So the short answer is, yes he can take a handoff.
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

As I recall, 50-79 can't take the snap either. Am I correct?
Old Fri Sep 23, 2005, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by smith55js
As I recall, 50-79 can't take the snap either. Am I correct?
REPLY: NO...perfectly legal in Federation and NCAA rules.