The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Jewelry (https://forum.officiating.com/football/22260-jewelry.html)

GBFBUmp Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:06am

1.5.3.m Jewelry shall not be worn.

Do we include all jewelry in this? Earrings, eyebrow piercings, etc.

My feeling is nothing should be allowed.

I ask the question because last week I thought I noticed a kid, during pre-game discussion with coach, that had an eyebrow piercing, but lost him in the crowd of players. It was an out of the corner of my eye thing, and I was discussing, as ump, players being properly equipped and any casts that needed checking, etc with referee and coach.

I let it go, but it has been bugging me ever since that maybe I should have gone through the players, or asked the specific question of the coach "Any kids with jewelry, coach?"

Any suggestions?

Snake~eyes Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:27am

No jewelry allowed! Only two exceptions, religious necklace or medical alert bracelet.

GBFBUmp Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:52am

Thanks, next time I will stop my discussion and look closer.

Snake~eyes Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally posted by GBFBUmp
What we do here is the Umpire usually tells the coach to make sure all the jewelry is off. I would do a spotcheck in the beginning but if a kid takes his helmet off during the game and happens to have earings in, 15 yard penalty against the coach. 2 of those equals ejection.

GBFBUmp Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:26pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Snake~eyes
Quote:

What we do here is the Umpire usually tells the coach to make sure all the jewelry is off. I would do a spotcheck in the beginning but if a kid takes his helmet off during the game and happens to have earings in, 15 yard penalty against the coach. 2 of those equals ejection.

This makes the most sense, as I have the coach there, and I don't need to rummage through all the players.

WVREF Thu Sep 22, 2005 01:39pm

Not that I plan on personally checking but I've been told this ban also applies to tongue studs. Makes sense cause these things can be dangerous to the kid wearing them.

GBFBUmp Thu Sep 22, 2005 02:35pm

Quote:

Originally posted by WVREF
Not that I plan on personally checking but I've been told this ban also applies to tongue studs. Makes sense cause these things can be dangerous to the kid wearing them.
I was afraid to think of all the other piercing possibilities. Thanks alot for giving me more scary images of teenagers. :eek:

waltjp Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:19pm

When asking the standard pregame question about players being properly and legally equipt I have asked to coach to think about it if I have seen things that should come off. I'll remind him that any infraction on the field is a 15 yarder against him and 2 of those and he's gone. That usually prompts him to check again.

SoGARef Fri Sep 23, 2005 06:00pm

You are right on Snake Eyes, but don't forget that the exceptions must be taped down to the body.

Tom.OH Sat Sep 24, 2005 09:28pm

Today (in my F & JV games)was the first time I did not have to tell a player to take off his Livestrong (or other) rubber braclet.

JugglingReferee Sun Sep 25, 2005 06:56am

Canadian Ruling

Quote:

1.5.3.m Jewelry shall not be worn.

Do we include all jewelry in this? Earrings, eyebrow piercings, etc.

No provision up here, so it is allowed. If it is a safety concern to himself or others, you could rule he can't play for that reason.