The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   NFHS Ruling question 4 (https://forum.officiating.com/football/22175-nfhs-ruling-question-4-a.html)

zebra5150 Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:22pm

Thanks for all you help guys here is the last one this week.

On 3rd and 6 from the A 39, A5 runs a sweep toward B’s bench, and is tackled hard by B1 in the side zone at the A 42. A5 gets up swinging so B1 retaliates, and (a) A5 misses, but B1 doesn’t as he connects with a punch to A5’s head before both players are restrained by other players, or (b) same scenario but this time both players are restrained by B12 and B13, who came out of the team box to stop the fight, or (c) A5 is restrained by the head coach of B and B1 is restrained by one of his teammates. When the dust settles, what fouls have been committed and how are they enforced?

BulldogMcC Fri Sep 16, 2005 05:30am

Quote:

Originally posted by zebra5150

On 3rd and 6 from the A 39, A5 runs a sweep toward B’s bench, and is tackled hard by B1 in the side zone at the A 42. A5 gets up swinging so B1 retaliates, and (a) A5 misses, but B1 doesn’t as he connects with a punch to A5’s head before both players are restrained by other players, or (b) same scenario but this time both players are restrained by B12 and B13, who came out of the team box to stop the fight, or (c) A5 is restrained by the head coach of B and B1 is restrained by one of his teammates. When the dust settles, what fouls have been committed and how are they enforced?

a) Both get flags for fighting, both are ejected. A's foul occured first so you go backwards 15 then forwards 15, A's ball 4th and 3 from A's 42.

b) While the letter of the rule says two more USC on B12 & B13, if the covering official flags them for helping I think he is making a mistake. If B12 & B13 took leadership roles on ending the conflict, I don't care if they stepped out of the team box. I reserve that for players that step out to add to the fighting.

c) is the same as A or B, the fact players or a coach interceded to end it will not constitute additional fouls by me. If the contribute to it, they buy a flag.

mikesears Fri Sep 16, 2005 06:34am

Quote:

Originally posted by BulldogMcC
Quote:

a) Both get flags for fighting, both are ejected. A's foul occured first so you go backwards 15 then forwards 15, A's ball 4th and 3 from A's 42.

b) While the letter of the rule says two more USC on B12 & B13, if the covering official flags them for helping I think he is making a mistake. If B12 & B13 took leadership roles on ending the conflict, I don't care if they stepped out of the team box. I reserve that for players that step out to add to the fighting.

c) is the same as A or B, the fact players or a coach interceded to end it will not constitute additional fouls by me. If the contribute to it, they buy a flag.

In situation B, I am going to be very careful about letting a B player restrain an A player.

JugglingReferee Fri Sep 16, 2005 09:13am

Canadian Ruling

Quote:

A5 and B1 are ejected for Rough Play. The yardages offset, so it's just 4D/3.