The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Help me out. Varsity High School game. Team A punts the ball. Team B does not get near the ball as it bounces toward Team B's goal line. A player from Team A chases down the ball slides his feet into the endzone as the ball is rolling to the 1 yard line. As the ball is comming to a stop, the player who's feet and butt are in the enzone falls on the ball which is still on the 1 yard line. Isn't this a touchback, ball 1st and 10 on the 20 yard line?
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Unless the ball is in the EZ (on or behind the goal line), then it is declared dead in the field of play. It matters not where the players feet, or body is.

1'st down for team B at that point.

The ball must have broken the plane of the goal line under NFHS rules before the result of the play is a TB.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 12:54pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by bellsjc
Help me out. Varsity High School game. Team A punts the ball. Team B does not get near the ball as it bounces toward Team B's goal line. A player from Team A chases down the ball slides his feet into the endzone as the ball is rolling to the 1 yard line. As the ball is comming to a stop, the player who's feet and butt are in the enzone falls on the ball which is still on the 1 yard line. Isn't this a touchback, ball 1st and 10 on the 20 yard line?
It is in the NFL, where the player's position is relevant.

In NFHS rules, it is simply a good play. 1-10 from the 1. I remember to pregame this with my BJ and LJ every week.
Old Mon Sep 19, 2005, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Ball has to cross the plain to be a touchback, touchdown, or safety.

Comparatively, a fumble inbounds near the sideline touched by a B player touching or straddling the sideline is immediately dead and belongs to A.