The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   A Strange Night (https://forum.officiating.com/football/22095-strange-night.html)

mikesears Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:24pm

Just got back from a game and what a strange night we had.

I had two fouls one play. I had holding by the offense (a takedown) and a face tackle by the defense (very obvious). Couldn't locate my second flag quick enough :)

Then we had a defensive holding foul. The old pull and shoot.

Then we later had a second illegal helmet contact foul by the defense for spearing. This is the first time I've had two of these in a game.

Then our Line Judge gets taken out at the knees on a kick off return with less than 3 minutes remaining.

Seems like tonight must have been a full moon.

Just thought I'd share what a weird night we had.

BulldogMcC Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:02am

Quote:

Originally posted by mikesears
Just got back from a game and what a strange night we had.

I had two fouls one play. I had holding by the offense (a takedown) and a face tackle by the defense (very obvious). Couldn't locate my second flag quick enough :)

Then we had a defensive holding foul. The old pull and shoot.

Then we later had a second illegal helmet contact foul by the defense for spearing. This is the first time I've had two of these in a game.

Then our Line Judge gets taken out at the knees on a kick off return with less than 3 minutes remaining.

Seems like tonight must have been a full moon.

Just thought I'd share what a weird night we had.

Mike,

I hope your LJ is ok. We had a dark Friday night, almost like the other topic on 'when to whistle' came haunting me. The field was so dark the wings where having a hard time seeing the ball in the middle of the field. I try to help out as the U on the middle dive plays, but I couldn't see it well enough either. Both teams where playing a short yardage ground game but I start a player watching linemen, not the runner, so to see the ball become dead I have to try and pick up runner late in the play. One of the coaches was complaining about how slow our whistles were but when it was explained to him we had to see the ball to blow the whistle to avoid an IW, he quickly quieted down. It seems coaches hate IW's as much or more so than us. Anyway, funny comment of the night was from an assistant coach. There was a pile of about 10 players on top of the runner, wings did not see the ball become dead and the R could not see the ball from behind but there was no hole for me to pick the runner up in and take the runner at the line. I, as the U, dig into the pile to see if I can find the ball and team A's QB standing 10 yards behind the pile holds his hands up to call the huddle. The coach called out, "Blow the whistle, the players are already huddling." None of these took more than two or three seconds, but those were some long seconds in the middle of the field.

schwinn Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:18am

Hmmmm....weird night here too. First had a TD where the runner looked like he was down but wasn't. Home team pulls up thinking he's down and runner ends up scoring This came right after a PF on the home team, which we called. Then after the try the visitors supposedly commit a PF which I think happened but none of us saw for sure so now we're getting reamed by the home coach for missing the call.

Then a little later the visitors are called for a PF after first down. We mark it half the distance to the goal (from the 3 to the 1 1/2) and home coach goes nuts insisting it's an automatic first down, even taking a TO for a conference and is going to send the tape to the state association, blah, blah, blah. Anyway, we made it home safe for some boneless wings and a pitcher and I hope all of you did too.

Jim S Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:37am

Yeah, we had the coach screaming that you can't go more than 1/2 the distance to the goalline. "You're right coach....but we did it twice!"

[Edited by Jim S on Sep 10th, 2005 at 02:24 AM]

SouthGARef Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:54am

Had a long night here in South GA. Road team scored twice on fumble returns, and once on a blocked punt. Both teams wanted to throw too, and since neither could successfully, we were there a looooong time.

Forksref Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:41am

We had snap infraction, illegal motion on same play. We had face mask by the offense, a free kick that went 13 yds and K wasn't sure that they could retrieve it(poor coaching, IMHO) so R just fell on it. We had 30-pt rule with 10 minutes to go in the 4th qtr. (Clock runs on OOB, incomplete pass and during the try.) Still, the game took forever. But the popcorn and beverages were good when we got back to town.

waltjp Sat Sep 10, 2005 06:49pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Forksref
We had snap infraction, illegal motion on same play.
Can you have illegal motion and a snap infraction on the same play?

James Neil Sat Sep 10, 2005 07:06pm

Quote:

Originally posted by waltjp
Quote:

No. The snap infraction should have killed the play. The IM is live ball.

Forksref Sat Sep 10, 2005 08:19pm

Quote:

Originally posted by waltjp
Quote:

Only the snap infraction was called, but we had a real circus occuring on that play. That was the point I was trying to make. Had it not been for the snap infraction, we would have had a motion penalty flagged as the play proceeded. The offense was doomed from the start.

grantsrc Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:50pm

Wow-
I had probably one of the best games of my career on Friday. Not close best, but crisp best. Both teams have excellent coaches and what a difference that makes. It's so much easier to work a game that involves teams that are well coached. One team is the defending 6A champ, the other, the perennial powerhouse, is ranked 8th in the Midwest in USA today. Needless to say a lot of attention was put on this game. That's where it stopped. The defending champ was over matched and only scored on a kickoff return for a TD. The powerhouse had them from the beginning.

There are a few things that made it such a crisp and fun game but the one main thing was the head coach on my sidelines. I don't think I've ever laughed as much as I did listening to this guy. He's been around a LONG time and knows his stuff. But what made it enjoyable was that he never took the game too seriously. Didn't hurt that his team was up by 30, but even still he made it fun.

Sorry to hear about some of the unfortunate things that happened in your games this past Friday. I'm sure you'll have games like I did this next Friday, where everything seems to click.

dumbref Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:50pm

I had a play that made us think a bit. A was tackled in the field of play at B's 4 with 31 sec remaining in the half. The clock was stopped for a first down. B runs a sub on and A is is lining up quickly to run the clock play. B's replaced player was leaving the field as I gave the ready for play. A snaps the ball and legally grounds a pass. I stop the clock, then hear my BJ also blowing his whisle with a flag in the end zone. He reports a dead ball illegal sub. on B.

I am about to give the prelim signal to the press box when it suddenly dawns on me what will happen with the clock if we call that a dead ball foul. DB foul,I'm winding - live ball on the snap.

I went back to the BJ and confirmed the replaced player was making an attempt to leave the field making it a live ball foul instead of a dead ball. As this conversation was taking place B was requesting a timeout - so as it turned out it did not matter. But it made for a good half time discussion!

buckrog64 Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:51pm

Join the club....one varsity night we had coaches who couldn't grasp the concept of being set for one second. Coming out of the huddle, a player would be in motion...'that's our motion guy!' Then we shouldn't have called grounding because the QB was out of the pocket, and another coach wanted an automatic first down on defensive holding. Thank P.A. guy for that one! Give me a break!

jack015 Sun Sep 11, 2005 01:42pm

Speaking of PA announcers, when I gave a sideline warning against the home team, the PA announcer explained that it was an unsportsmanship warning. Then later in the game when I gave the signal for unsportmanship conduct against the visitors, they thought it should be a warning.

Forksref Sun Sep 11, 2005 08:47pm

Quote:

Originally posted by jack015
Speaking of PA announcers, when I gave a sideline warning against the home team, the PA announcer explained that it was an unsportsmanship warning. Then later in the game when I gave the signal for unsportmanship conduct against the visitors, they thought it should be a warning.
After a down ended, the PA announcer said, "That was a bad spot."

Thanks!

JasonTX Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:58pm

[/B][/QUOTE]

After a down ended, the PA announcer said, "That was a bad spot."

Thanks! [/B][/QUOTE]

I would have sent to game administrator up there to turn the power off. :)

Tom.OH Mon Sep 12, 2005 09:23pm

We had the same PA clown. Real blow out home team won 58-6. We called back 5 TD's with BIB and holding calls. Later they scored and the PA said We scored and there are no flags this time.

cowbyfan1 Tue Sep 13, 2005 02:18am

We had about 7 or 8 fasemask fouls on one team and amazingly all but 2 were the 5 yard type. You'd think they would get the message that we were watching for it.