The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Guys - We have a plague of young men that want badly to dress like the college and pro players. These thin "sweatbands" at or above the elbow, silky sleeves that start at the wrist and go to or just above the elbow, standard sweatbands halfway up the forearm (not the playcards, we allow those)....all of these adornments that are prohibited by rule.

Do you see this alot in your areas? We notify the coaches in our pre-game conference and we try to police it early, but they just keep on coming in with this stuff and honestly, I'm more focused on the game than wristbands and belts hanging.

Just wondering if this is widespread.
Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

I don't see it as widespread though some schools are a bit more prone to it. Last year we did a game where one team was predominantly Native Americans and they had bandanas tied on their elbows and knees. Not in a gang-related way, just ornamentation. We had them removed during pregame.

We do get the occasional bandana worn under the helmet which we request being removed. Then there are some players which wear their wrist bands just above the elbow, or two bands on the wrist, which personally I can live with.

I figure if a player can have long hair waving out from under his lid to be yanked, an extra wrist band or above the elbow will get by me.

* The rubber Livestrong wrist bands are a must to come off though. Go figure huh?

Just my take.

WM
Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

we wear sweat bands quite a bit here in georgia. i had an official were his under armour bands last year with very large logos on them. i had him flip them over so that they only showed black before the game.
Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Last year, and the year before we were seeing a lot of wristbands on the chinstrap. Those we had the players remove during pregame. This year we are seeing more of the wrist sweat bands worn at every location but the wrist. We have them removed during pregame. This was a POE for us this year.

Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GBFBUmp
Last year, and the year before we were seeing a lot of wristbands on the chinstrap. Those we had the players remove during pregame. This year we are seeing more of the wrist sweat bands worn at every location but the wrist. We have them removed during pregame. This was a POE for us this year.

How do you wear a wrist band ON the chin strap???

WM
Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WyMike
Quote:
Originally posted by GBFBUmp

How do you wear a wrist band ON the chin strap???

WM
They are the wrist sweat bands by NIKE. They slip them over the straps and onto the chinpad. For 2 reasons I think 1) THe think it looks cool having the Nike logo there, 2) makes that chin pad much softer.

In Wisconsin, the WIAA has made it a POE to not allow any alterations to equipment, including wearing items on, under, etc that are not included from the manufacturer.... CYA (Actually, COA).
Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
Kids are doing it all over the KC area. To the best of my knowledge, it isn't being addressed or enforced. I know it is in the book that they cannot be more than 3 inches above the wrist, but does it impact the game? Or is it just an appearance thing? Safety issue? Who knows....
Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by grantsrc
Kids are doing it all over the KC area. To the best of my knowledge, it isn't being addressed or enforced. I know it is in the book that they cannot be more than 3 inches above the wrist, but does it impact the game? Or is it just an appearance thing? Safety issue? Who knows....

Affect the game, probably not. Appearance thing, definitely, gotta show off those biceps, they look so much bigger when something tight is around them.

Safety issue-I don't know, but that's how they are presenting it here. I think because it may add another place to grab and thereby adding injury possibilities?????

Old Wed Sep 07, 2005, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

I don't really agree with the wristbands and sleeves, I think they should be able to wear them but I just do what I'm told, I'm just a little peon.