The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 04, 2005, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

On the last play of the 1st quarter, there is a penalty on the defense which is accepted and it is NOT a loss of down penalty. Does A get an untimed down, or, since they'll still have the ball in the same position at the opposite end of the field, do you just assess the penalty and then take your intermission and begin the 2nd quarter?
Old Sun Sep 04, 2005, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes
On the last play of the 1st quarter, there is a penalty on the defense which is accepted and it is NOT a loss of down penalty. Does A get an untimed down, or, since they'll still have the ball in the same position at the opposite end of the field, do you just assess the penalty and then take your intermission and begin the 2nd quarter?
It will be an untimed down and extend the quarter. We screwed this up once when I had a mic on and by the time I talked to the captains and stuff I forgot about extending the qtr. By the time one of my wings reminded me both teams were on the sidlines and chains were moving. Since we were just going to the next qtr we just went with it and no one knew the difference, but it pissed me off cuz I know the rule and just blew it by rushing a little. It is more evident at the end of the 1/2 or game and I know it would have clicked in that case.
Old Sun Sep 04, 2005, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes
Think of it this way ... Replay the down, under the same conditions (i.e., wind direction, shadows, etc.) as the original down.

BTW, there are no loss of down penalties that can be attributed to the defense!
Old Sun Sep 04, 2005, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

I must be mis-reading something here. What penalty can be on the defense and be a loss of down penalty??

Any penalty accepted other than a loss of down, nonplayer or USC will cause the period to be extended for an untimed down.

Middleman beat me by a second....

[Edited by Texoma_LJ on Sep 4th, 2005 at 08:01 PM]