The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 06:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Curious on this. I have my thoughts just wondering what other R's would do.
A and B line up. A55 and B45 both jump and basically the same time. One offical says B got in first. Another said A moved before B got in. No one else can add anything different. What would you do? Would you go with the wing official on the side of the fouls?

What if the A foul happens closest to the HL and the B foul closest to the LJ?

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

hit both teams with it, off set it and go on with the game.
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

If HL had the offensive movement then LJ probably did not have the best view of that player. If both fouls were on one side of the center then I would go with that official's call. It is his pond to fish in.

If the fouls were on both sides of the center then I would still go with the wing which had the offensive foul because he has the best view of the false start and can see encroachment across the field.

If both players move at the same time then it is a false start because it is a foul for the offense to move while it is only a foul on the defense to encroach and that movement must cover some distance.

I had one last year when the RB false started at the same moment that the right DE jumped into the neutral zone. Everyone saw the DE encroach but very few saw the RB move. I had them both in my view and was able to call the false start which the offensive coach didn't like.

Everyone must keep a wide field of view to see all that is possible while keeping their keys as their main responsibility.

I wouldn't offset these fouls because one did happen first. Pick one and go with it. If it really was that close then you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right. If you offset then you are guaranteed to get the call wrong. Just the way I see it.
Old Tue Aug 30, 2005, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Never offset these fouls. Officials are paid to make decisions and a no decision is a poor decision.

When faced with this dilemma, I'll do a conference and decide who has the best story.

Will it be right, or, will it be wrong?

Does not make a difference if you know in your heart you made the right decision.