The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Personal foul? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/21948-personal-foul.html)

glt1958 Tue Aug 30, 2005 06:45am

If you see a player from one team blatantly flip off a player from the opposing team, do you have a foul? Would it be 15 yards only or does he get tossed?

Theisey Tue Aug 30, 2005 07:06am

This action is not a personal foul.
It would be an unsportmanlike foul.

Both are 15 yarders, but multiple UCs will get you tossed.
Yes, you can get tossed for a single personal foul, but it better be one of the serious types before you do that. Throwing a punch is one of those.

glt1958 Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:06am

Thanks, Theisey. I saw this in a scrimmage and told the two of them to knock it off. Since I am working the middle this year, I thought I'd better be ready for it in a game.

SWFLguy Tue Aug 30, 2005 04:58pm

36 years "in the middle" here--
if I saw that I'd probably ask that
player--
"what's that supposed to mean ?"
and follow up with something like--
"that has nothing to do with playing football"
or
"football is blocking and tackling and not flipping "the bird" "
talk to the kids !!
it works 99.9% of the time and you won't have
to get your flag dirty !!

yankeesfan Tue Aug 30, 2005 09:34pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Theisey

Yes, you can get tossed for a single personal foul, but it better be one of the serious types before you do that. Throwing a punch is one of those.

theisey,

an unsportsmanlike foul is a non-contact foul, in this situation it is not usportsmanlike, you are wrong. it could be a flagrant foul or just a personal foul.

tpaul Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:02pm

Quote:

Originally posted by yankeesfan
Quote:

theisey,

an unsportsmanlike foul is a non-contact foul, in this situation it is not usportsmanlike, you are wrong. it could be a flagrant foul or just a personal foul.

I thought he meant flip off, like giving the middle finger to the other team...????? LOL

Snake~eyes Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:08pm

Quote:

Quote:

theisey,

What are you talking about? Flipping someone off is a noncontact foul.

yankeesfan Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:11pm

i apologize, i thought he flipped the guy, like slammed him. i miss read this. i am sorry.

tpaul Fri Sep 02, 2005 06:43am

Quote:

i apologize, i thought he flipped the guy, like slammed him. i miss read this. i am sorry.
I agre3e the wording is confusing...LOL

Theisey Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:09am

Quote:

It would be best then to go back to your post and delete it. Very easy to do.

yankeesfan Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:36am

thanks theisey, you are so smart.

Theisey Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:21pm

What's that comment supposed to mean? I certinaly did not take offense to your original post calling my statement as being wrong. But I do take offense your recent one. Stop being a jerk and act like a football official.

It's common to go back and either DELETE a post or to at least edit it to clear up an misunderstanding.