The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 26, 2005, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jrfath
I have a list of items I like to cover with the referee (I am a linesman) in the pregame meeting/conference to make sure we are on the same page. Since we do not work crews in our association, we see different referees each week, and they don't always prefer things be done the same way.

My list contains the following items:
* Do you want me to throw my flag for a sideline warning (Manual says no, but most officials prefer it is thrown)
*Do you want me to signal a backward pass in the flat (arm in the backfield)
*If there is a rollout by the QB to my side, and he throws the ball to an area with no receivers, but you (Ref) can't look up to see where the ball goes, do you want me to drop my flag, or just come to you and report what I saw?
*If a 12th man breaks out of the huddle (does not leave "immediately"), do you want me to flag it, or is that your (Ref) call all night?

Can you think of any other situations that may be covered similar to these? Do any of you have similar lists?

Have great games tonight. Remember, the game you are working is the biggest, most important one of the night.

Be safe.
Old Fri Aug 26, 2005, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

I had just about convinced my crew that we shouldn't throw our flag on the first sideline warning when at the state MO) rules meeting they handed out a brocure from the NFHS which said it should be thrown on the first warning. I don't know if you guys get the same handout but check it out if you do.

You have to signal for a backward pass to your side.