The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 24, 2005, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Sit:

"Second and 5 at the 50. Roughing the passer is called on B1. During the play, A2's pass was complete to A3 who advanced to B's 10 where A3 fumbled the ball which then rolled out of bounds through B's end zone. Ruling: If accepted, team A would play first and goal at B’s 5. "

This is true if the fumble through the EZ doesn't constitue a change of possession (i.e. touchback)? 10-5-5

If the fumble constitute's change of possession, then enforce from previous spot and A would play 1/10 from B's 35?

Thanks for your comments:

Old Wed Aug 24, 2005, 05:28pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally posted by BayouUmp
Sit:

"Second and 5 at the 50. Roughing the passer is called on B1. During the play, A2's pass was complete to A3 who advanced to B's 10 where A3 fumbled the ball which then rolled out of bounds through B's end zone. Ruling: If accepted, team A would play first and goal at B’s 5. "
Yup. A 1D/G @ B-5.

Quote:
This is true if the fumble through the EZ doesn't constitue a change of possession (i.e. touchback)? 10-5-5
Isn't a touchback a COP?
Old Wed Aug 24, 2005, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sit:

If the fumble constitute's change of possession, then enforce from previous spot and A would play 1/10 from B's 35?

Thanks for your comments:

Here is my take for NF. The fumble itself is not a COP, unless B possesses the ball. Now, it is true that if B had not fouled, B would get a new series as the result of the TB, but they never did get possession and did foul, so we didn't have a COP, so 10-5-5 does not apply.
Old Wed Aug 24, 2005, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

OK Lets say the fumble was recovered by B at there own 1 yard line. What's the ruling?
Old Wed Aug 24, 2005, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

I have read this one before and have asked a rules interpreter about it. Since a fumble occurred in the field of play and the ball went thru the EZ, the result of the play was a touchback, hence a change of possession. Enforce from the previous spot. 1st and 10 from 35.

As a referee I'm going on that enforcement if this happens in one of my games. I asked our rules interpreter to put this on our chapter test to see how everyone answers. Should create some interesting dialogue.
Old Wed Aug 24, 2005, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Thankfully I'm a pack rat. I just went through my computer files thinking I just might have this...luckily I have the 2002 interpretations page from the fed site from that year. Sometimes when I read this stuff I think to save it because you never know when you're going to need it. Any way since the rule hasn't changed since then it still applies.

Here it is....

SITUATION 17: During A1's pass from B's 30, passer A1 is roughed. The pass is completed to A2 who fumbles on B's 2 and the ball rolls through the end zone and out of bounds. RULING: If the penalty is accepted, it will be administered from the previous spot and result in a first down for A from B's 15-yard line. (8-5-3c)
Old Wed Aug 24, 2005, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gtwbam
OK Lets say the fumble was recovered by B at there own 1 yard line. What's the ruling?
Definitely a PS enforcement then.
Old Wed Aug 24, 2005, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ljudge
Thankfully I'm a pack rat. I just went through my computer files thinking I just might have this...luckily I have the 2002 interpretations page from the fed site from that year. Sometimes when I read this stuff I think to save it because you never know when you're going to need it. Any way since the rule hasn't changed since then it still applies.

Here it is....

SITUATION 17: During A1's pass from B's 30, passer A1 is roughed. The pass is completed to A2 who fumbles on B's 2 and the ball rolls through the end zone and out of bounds. RULING: If the penalty is accepted, it will be administered from the previous spot and result in a first down for A from B's 15-yard line. (8-5-3c)
That's good enough for me to see that I was wrong. Good job pack rat!