The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

A situation occurred in a scrimmage last week concerning a tipped pass. What is the best way to handle the following situation. A12's downfield pass is tipped by oncoming B77, as R I give the tipped ball signal, downfield B23 hits A88 prior to the ball reaching A88. The BJ throws flag for DPI not knowing that a tipped ball was signaled. Everyone in the stands and on the sidelines see the DPI but didn't hear nor notice the tipped ball signal. What is the best way to handle this situation after waving off the flag? Do you give the tipped ball signal then wave the flag?
Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

It probably doesn't matter, but I'd do the wave off first then the tipped signal.
Other than that, the those combination of signals clears up why there is no foul on the play. Good verbalization would also helps.
Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Verbalization

Would the referee give the tipped ball signal while loudly verbalizing "Tipped Ball, Tipped Ball, Tipped Ball"? Or do you have another example on verbalization?

Thanks
Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alabamabluezebra
A situation occurred in a scrimmage last week concerning a tipped pass. What is the best way to handle the following situation. A12's downfield pass is tipped by oncoming B77, as R I give the tipped ball signal, downfield B23 hits A88 prior to the ball reaching A88. The BJ throws flag for DPI not knowing that a tipped ball was signaled. Everyone in the stands and on the sidelines see the DPI but didn't hear nor notice the tipped ball signal. What is the best way to handle this situation after waving off the flag? Do you give the tipped ball signal then wave the flag?
As the R, I would handle this by getting in a very visible area, as you should for any foul reporting, give and verbalize the tipped ball signal to the pressbox and say "by rule there is no defensive pass interference after after the ball has been tipped" then I would take my flag out, wave it off, and then give the tipped signal again. I would have my wing explaining it to the offending coach if he was not on the pressbox side of the field.
Old Tue Aug 16, 2005, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

The verbalization of what happened is during the time when the foul is being wiped off. Not during the play.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
Quote:
Originally posted by alabamabluezebra
As the R, I would handle this by getting in a very visible area, as you should for any foul reporting, give and verbalize the tipped ball signal to the pressbox and say "by rule there is no defensive pass interference after after the ball has been tipped" then I would take my flag out, wave it off, and then give the tipped signal again. I would have my wing explaining it to the offending coach if he was not on the pressbox side of the field.
This is what I'd like to see my WH do.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 02:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
The umpire could give it as well. Sometimes as the WH I do not see if a pass was tipped as I am more worried about protecting the QB. If the pass was tipped and I am about to wave off the flag I will step out like I would if I were calling the foul and announce the pass was tipped (giving a tipped pass signal) and then as so there is no foul on the play and give the wave off signal. I would also make sure the coach of the offensive team is fully informed by my wingman.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.