The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I know this has probably been discussed before, but I prefer not to go through all the threads.

Is the Simplified Rule book (comic book) worth the purchase price and shipping costs? Or, is it available anywhere else than the NFHS? Shipping costs there are more than the book price.

I have not used it in the past and this is my third year in football officiating. If it will help me I would spring for it, but I don't want to send away for it and find out it is too "simplified".

Any other suggestions on publications would be greatly appreciated too.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 01:17pm
tpaul

Quote:
Originally posted by GBFBUmp
I know this has probably been discussed before, but I prefer not to go through all the threads.

Is the Simplified Rule book (comic book) worth the purchase price and shipping costs? Or, is it available anywhere else than the NFHS? Shipping costs there are more than the book price.

I have not used it in the past and this is my third year in football officiating. If it will help me I would spring for it, but I don't want to send away for it and find out it is too "simplified".

Thanks for the feedback.
It breaks things down with pictures/drawings but I don't think it is a must have.

the best book I have found that explains rules with a ton of examples is "Redding's study guide to NFHS Football Rules"

Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tpaul

the best book I have found that explains rules with a ton of examples is "Redding's study guide to NFHS Football Rules"

Thanks, I did see that one on a site also. Helps knowing it is helpful b4 buying.
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GBFBUmp

Thanks for the feedback.
We can buy them at our rules meeting. It is nice, especially for new officials, but also as a review for all.
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

While our association provides us with a new one every year, the actual content does not really change that much
from year to year.
You could buy one this year and maybe again in two years.

It's has been a useful document to have in ones early years of officiating, but tends to become old hat stuff.
I'd buy it at least once so you can judge for yourself, but see if you can find some other less experienced officials to order with you to save on shipping costs.
Old Fri Aug 12, 2005, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

I would recommend you buy it once and also order the Handbook. You only need them every couple of years but they help. The comic book helps you visualize some of the rules and the handbook has some background and explaination that also helps.