The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LouisianaDave
This is my first year doing fb, and Im wondering should I go with a starter package or should I buy it all sep. Also what is the recommended type of shirt and knickers.

Any and all help is appreciated
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

I don't know much about starter packages and what they contain but my personal preference for knickers is the poly/cotton blend. I hate the all poly knickers. There are a number of threads on this site dealing with different equipment. You can search for those.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

When I first started I didn't get a package, because I didn't like the package options, I ended up just buying everything seperately.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LouisianaDave
I dont mind the package, but I am worried about getting a crappy shirt and crappy knickers.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LouisianaDave
I dont mind the package, but I am worried about getting a crappy shirt and crappy knickers.
Buy from http://www.honigs.com and I assure you you won't get crappy anything. Maybe not their top of the line stuff, but certainly not crap. What I did was buy the starter package and then add higher quality stuff as I advanced. Now I use my older starter stuff for sub-varsity and the newer stuff for Friday night. Good Luck!
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Agreed. Go to Honig's.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Can't go wrong with Honigs gear, and the starter package gets it to you at a cheaper price.

I started out with the starter pack, and still wear everything today. 3 years later. Honigs gear is by far the best I've ever tried.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Just a small plug for another company, getofficial.com They are somewhat new, I believe but I have ordered from them twice now and the owner was at our rules meeting. They are doing a wonderful job with customer service, imo. Also, everything I got was good quality stuff, Cliff Keen, McDavid, and OuterBanks. I am not knocking Honigs, mind you, they are great. Starter packages I checked on were Honigs 172.95, GetOfficial $130. With Honigs you get another shirt and a hat liner, GO comes with only the short sleeve shirt, long sleeve ($28.95). They use the same stuff, Cliff Keen, in their starter packages.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

I did the starter pckg from Honigs last year and was very happy with everything. I'd upgrade the shoes if I were to do it again though and I would grab up a windbreaker longsleeve shirt as well. (Wyoming anyway... Don't know nuttin' bout Loosyanna 'cept mudbugs, boils, jambalaya and stuff!)

~
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WyMike
... I would grab up a windbreaker longsleeve shirt as well...
~
I just picked up one of the windstopper linings from Honigs last week. I can't wait to try it out. A few guys in my association have it and they seem to stay warm during our harsh winter winds

As for gear, I've tried a few different suppliers so far, and Honigs is by far the best when it comes to football stuff.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

And I thought you were going to give World of Sports a try next time. We carry the Cliff Keen line of products which as I understand it, manufactures a lot of the items for Honigs.

Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cagey
And I thought you were going to give World of Sports a try next time. We carry the Cliff Keen line of products which as I understand it, manufactures a lot of the items for Honigs.

Really they do?

I bought a pair of knickers from Cliff Keen last year, and I just couldn't get used to them, they fit me wierd. For football it's Honigs, basketball, Cliff Keen all the way, I love those pants.
And the pants are different from the Honigs ones. I noticed everything seems to be made in Ann Arbour but there's gotta be a difference.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2005, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

The last time I talked to a VP at Cliff Keen, he told me that they made a lot, but not all of Honigs gear. However, I am sure they have different suppliers as do I. I had some old nylon, and polyester but they are nowhere near as good a fit and comfortable as the new Cliff Keen polyester pants. I just love them. Anyways, just teasing you about where you buy your gear. Up until I bought the business, I purchased some of my stuff from Honigs as well. Now, for me, there is only one supplier and that of course is World of Sports.
Old Wed Aug 10, 2005, 09:13am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally posted by Patton
Quote:
Originally posted by LouisianaDave
Buy from http://www.honigs.com and I assure you you won't get crappy anything. Maybe not their top of the line stuff, but certainly not crap. What I did was buy the starter package and then add higher quality stuff as I advanced. Now I use my older starter stuff for sub-varsity and the newer stuff for Friday night. Good Luck!
Certainly can't go wrong with Honig's. If you don't like your purchase, all ya gotta do is return it -- they are great with returns or if something isn't right.
Old Wed Aug 10, 2005, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
My question is then, if CK does make stuff for Honigs, why is Honigs stuff higher quality? At least in my opinion.